Talk

Advanced search

How do Bank Holidays work if you are part time (and don't work Mondays)

(15 Posts)
HackerFucker22 Mon 07-Dec-15 15:12:04

I assume the BH are prorated just the same as salary and annual leave?

IE If I work Wed-Fri and there are 6 BH that fall on a Monday I will get X amount of time off in lieu? (I am calculating 3.5 days based on the fact I am working 59% of my full time hours if I go part time)

BH are on top of annual leave at my company.

ginmakesitallok Mon 07-Dec-15 15:14:42

You get them pro rata on top of your annual leave.

PuppyMonkey Mon 07-Dec-15 15:25:57

I used to work three days tues- thurs and got all BHs pro rata. So I got 60% of all bank holidays added to my annual leave, as I worked 60% of the week.

LIZS Mon 07-Dec-15 15:28:04

If your days are fixed , ie. You never work Mondays , then you may only be credited with the hours for the bank holidays which fall on your working days. If you work 0.6 hours without fixed days you may get 0.6 of the annual bh allowance. Each employer can apply it differently.

PolterGoose Mon 07-Dec-15 22:19:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Mon 07-Dec-15 22:30:32

It depends what your contract says! I work three days a week and think I have one if the fairest systems.
I work 3 days a week so get 60% of the bank holidays which my company rounds to five days. These days are essentially added to my holiday allowance and bank holidays which fall on my working days are then deducted from my holiday allowance. I work on a Friday so Good Friday always falls on my working days, none of the Monday bank holidays do and then it depends on when Christmas and the related bank holidays fall as to whether they do. Ad hoc bank holidays (such as for the Royal Wedding) are a bonus day off if they fall on my working day buy I don't get anything in lieu of they fall on a different day.
Under my system, those working Mon, Fri & another day have to use all of their bank holiday allowance to cover the bank holidays plus usual holiday if Christmas falls "badly" for them.

purpledasies Mon 07-Dec-15 22:35:22

There's nothing in law about it so it depends what your contact says. Mine simply says you get bank holidays if they're a day you work, so you don't if they're not. I've always made sure Mondays were working days for me grin

But it would be a bit crap if I couldn't chose which days I worked and didn't work Mondays.

BackforGood Mon 07-Dec-15 22:38:46

Agree - it varies, depending on your contract.

Currently, I get 3/5 of all BHs added on to my AL - pro rata, same as AL is.
This is why it's bad news to work on a Monday (on this sort of contract) because you only get 3/5 (or a half or whatever proportion of the week you work) but have to take a full day off each time, so you have to use some of your AL each BH whether you'd choose that day off or not.

flowery Tue 08-Dec-15 10:18:48

It shouldn't vary at all, and there's not "nothing in law" about it. You should get pro rata exactly what full timers get.

If full timers get 20 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays, ie a total of 28 paid days off, then someone working 3 days a week like you OP should get a total of 16.8 days (rounded up to 17). Where a bank holiday falls on your normal working day, assuming you take it off and are paid, that obviously needs to come out of the total.

The key is that you must get whatever full timers get, on a pro rata basis.

PuppyMonkey Tue 08-Dec-15 11:17:21

Thank heavens for you flowery - I don't think I'd be very pleased if I worked at purple's company and she worked the same hours as me, but just because she happened to work on Mondays and I didn't, she got extra days off. It wouldn't just be crap, it would probably be illegal!

Millionprammiles Tue 08-Dec-15 13:49:30

flowery is spot on.

The difficulty arises if your annual leave isn't adjusted each year to reflect the differing days that some bank holidays (eg Xmas) fall on each year.

In those years I swap my non working day for a different day of the week in those bank holiday weeks. Otherwise my annual leave wouldn't be pro-rated correctly.

BackforGood Tue 08-Dec-15 20:23:44

It does vary flowery
For example, if you work in a school, then you are on holiday when it is a BH, so, when I was working in school, it could work out better to work Mondays, as a Part-timer, but now I don't work in a school, it works out better for me (as a part timer) to not work Mondays.

prh47bridge Tue 08-Dec-15 20:53:57

Flowery is spot on. It doesn't vary.

BackforGood is confusing the total amount of holiday (which does not vary) with the total amount excluding bank holidays.

Let us say you are entitled to 17 days holiday per year. In 2016 there are 5 bank holidays on Mondays, 1 on a Tuesday and 2 on Fridays. So if you work on Mondays you will get 12 days holiday plus 5 bank holidays. If, on the other hand, you work on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays you will get 16 days plus 1 bank holiday. Either way you get 17 days off in total. So either way you work the same number of days through the year.

BikeRunSki Tue 08-Dec-15 21:08:48

I work 3 days a week, currently Tue-Thur, but have also worked Wed-Fri.

There are usually 8 bank hols in the year, so I get 5 days pro rata for bank hols in addition to my annual leave. Whenever a BH falls on one of my working days, I have to take a day's leave. I do well by not working on Mondays, because those of 4 BH days I never have to take off.

dollybird Tue 08-Dec-15 21:40:41

I get pro-rata bank holidays, and if not enough fall on my work days (rarely as I only don't work Fridays) then I get the difference to take on another day. However, if the bank holidays I do get to take exceeds my bank holiday allowance then I don't have to make up the difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now