Talk

Advanced search

New job, citalopram and driving

(8 Posts)
theimpossibledream Mon 07-Dec-15 09:18:14

I started a new job about a month ago.

I have to drive sometimes for work.

I've just been diagnosed with depression and the Dr put me on citalopram on Friday...the side effects have been ok except I feel very spaced out and I think it's affected my reaction times. I am not sure that I should drive at the moment.

I have to drive for work this Wednesday and next Monday.

Obviously I can't drive if I'm feeling like this then...I considered postponing taking my tablets til I got home, but I haven't had a tablet yet this morning and feel really spaced out and not with it.

I have 2 weeks off at Christmas so shouldn't have to drive til January, by which time I'm hoping I'll have adjusted to the meds.

My question is - what should I tell my new job about why I can't drive/attend?

Obviosuly, I have depression and so am turning this into perhaps a greater isssue than it should be...maybe I should just call in sick, but as it will be two occasions I don't know if that will work...I don't really want to tell them about the medication/depression. This job is the one decent thing that's happened to me lately and I really don't want to mess it up..

ffffffedup Mon 07-Dec-15 09:43:39

I also take citalopram I found the initial side effects wear off after about a week or so as your body gets used to it

theimpossibledream Mon 07-Dec-15 09:45:00

That's good to know, thanks fffffedup.

I wonder if I can just go sick for Weds and be back for this time next week...

theimpossibledream Mon 07-Dec-15 13:40:08

Does anyone else have any views? Thanks.

Muskey Mon 07-Dec-15 13:46:57

I started taking it last Christmas. Like another op said I was a bit of a space cadet for a week then after that I was fine. Can you use public transport initially until you feel better taking the citolopram. Imo I wouldn't say you are ill.

theimpossibledream Mon 07-Dec-15 14:02:49

Thanks Muskey...hopefully I'll be ok to drive next week then.

It's all rural locations I have to get to so public transport isn't really doable. I'm thinking maybe I'll see how I am on Weds and get a taxi if not up to driving. Will be about £60 but cheaper than taking the day off unpaid so I may have to do that..

Ellypoo Mon 07-Dec-15 14:06:01

When I started taking it, it didn't take long at all for the side effects to wear off, but the Dr did recommend taking it at bedtime because of this sort of thing.

KakiFruit Mon 07-Dec-15 14:18:59

When I started citalopram I took it at bedtime for this reason, though it did make it hard to sleep.

I would switch to nighttime pill-taking immediately and you should be fine for Friday. For Wednesday, taxi is a good option unless you feel fully alert.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now