Talk

Advanced search

Taken a promotion and having a backlash from other staff members finding it hard to be their manager as a result.....

(3 Posts)
Dickorydockwhatthe Fri 27-Nov-15 21:24:26

I was basically put in an awkward position of accepting a promotion which I didn't really want and neither did anyone else apparently because of the responsibility. I was put on the spot and made to feel that I was the only one who could do it as they didn't want to recruit a new staff member who they couldn't trust. I'd spoken to other staff members previously and they said they didn't want the responsibility so really didn't think I was stepping on anyone's toes. In fact I thought I was taking the pressure off every one else. How wrong could I be!!! I soon found out staff members were not happ which has made things really awkward as now I have to manage them.
The worse thing I don't even want to be a manager because I can't be bothered with the stress of it and I'm more of a hard grafter rather do it myself kind of person. I Just want to do my job and come home. Yet I'm finding I'm taking the stress and workload home with me. Even worse my manager above me is going sick so I will be jumping from assistant manager to manager with no experience or training and I have to manage a demoralised team. I just want to hand my notice in :-(

daisychain01 Sat 28-Nov-15 06:45:31

I find it amazing that an organisation would hand over the reins to someone who doesn't want to do the job!

So if your manager above you is going On sick leave, who is your immediate lline manager? That person must surely take on television responsibility of

a. Support you by providing training and guidance as well as setting expectations on the scope of your new management role ( including any increment in your salary if you are being regraded and have staff responsibilities)
b) communicate to your staff that they should be reporting to you from x date and that they need to support you in your role esp as X person is going on sick leave.
c) let you know formally if this is a permanent situation or a temporary arrangement while your manager is off sick. If possible a rough timescale and what will happen when the person returns.

The above could be a checklist for you to arrange a formal meeting with your next in command and get all that information. I'd be very concerned they haven't done that already!

daisychain01 Sat 28-Nov-15 06:47:21

That person must surely take on the responsibility ... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now