Talk

Advanced search

Boyfriend would be my boss.

(4 Posts)
JustAnotherMumHere Mon 23-Nov-15 18:27:26

My boyfriend/DP (whom we share one DS and a DD arriving soon), has always wanted to set up his own company. He now has the opportunity to co-own with a former colleague of his. I am unemployed with little career options (due to various non interesting/relevant reasons) - (but very well education!). He thinks I would do good in his company (which is still a few months away from actually setting up).

But he would be my boss. And the market the company is in, is competitive. He has had some brutal bosses in the past. I'm also slightly bummed (and told him) I would just be a trainee, rather than a position/title slightly below him and his co-owner. Okay - so I don't know anything about the industry but I am teaching myself during DS's naps and after his bedtime (whilst doing household chores!)

Basically I want to hear experiences from anyone else who has been in this position. Has it worked out fine to have your DP/DH as your boss? Has it affected your relationship? How did you keep professional whilst under pressure to perform? (This is a sales based role I would have)

reni2 Mon 23-Nov-15 18:58:21

I have seen it work, but it wouldn't be for me. It works best if there is an equal partnership or very clearly defined roles (one does the software side, one the marketing for instance). For a classic boss/ junior relationship you'd have to be able to swallow grief. It doesn't get easier with an eagle-eyed co-owner who isn't related to you.

daisychain01 Tue 24-Nov-15 22:40:17

I don't like

The sense of hierarchy
the fact he is making it sound like you'll be the office junior
the fact he thinks you'll be good for his company

Why do you need to put up with that just because you are going out with him?

MinesAPintOfTea Tue 24-Nov-15 22:45:45

The risk isn't great either. If you have a separate income then financially you're both more secure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now