Talk

Advanced search

Holiday entitlement for p/t emplotee

(15 Posts)
FrogletinaBallerina Mon 23-Nov-15 14:34:43

Hi,

Can anyone provide any guidance please? I've just started a new job (working Tue, Wed and Thur) and the given holidays for full time staff are 22 + public holidays.

My line manager has worked out my entitlement at 4.4 weeks (13.2 days) yet I've looked on the government website which shows that all workers should get 5.6 weeks (16.8 days)

I've confused myself so please can anyone point out which is correct? Many thanks.

ifgrandmahadawilly Mon 23-Nov-15 14:40:01

Hi,

Here is the actual calculator from the government website which you can use, you just need to know whether or not your workplace works it out in hours or in days/

www.gov.uk/calculate-your-holiday-entitlement

balletgirlmum Mon 23-Nov-15 14:44:22

I get 16.8 days for you too (assuming a normal working week is 5 days & you are working 3 days)

But that would be based on full timers only getting 28 days.

You said in your OP that they get 22 plus BH (8 days) so 30 days in total. In which case you should be entitled to 18 days holiday.

balletgirlmum Mon 23-Nov-15 14:46:31

I've got it!

The 13.2 days your line manager has worked out is the 22 days pro rata. You will get bank holidays on top.

FrogletinaBallerina Mon 23-Nov-15 14:55:50

Thank you both.

I was unsure around the inclusion of the bank holidays as I don't work a Monday I wasn't sure if they should be included.

FellOffMyUnicorn Mon 23-Nov-15 15:01:53

www.workingmums.co.uk/advice-and-support/pro-rata-bank-holidays-ask-the-expert/

Legally, part-timers should not be treated less favourably than comparable full-timers in their entitlement to public/bank holidays. Allowing full-timers the day off, but not part-timers, is clearly less favourable treatment and unlawful. To comply with the law, in some circumstances employers may give workers a paid day off if their day of work happens to coincide with the public holiday, without giving time off in lieu to those who would not ordinarily work on that day. This should produce a fair result where a shift system means that full-time and part-time workers are equally likely to be scheduled to work on a public holiday.

However, where workers work fixed days each week, such a practice could put part-timers at a disadvantage. This is because most bank/public holidays fall on a Monday and those who do not work Mondays will be entitled to proportionately fewer days off.

In many workplaces, these workers will predominantly be part-timers. Therefore, to remove any disadvantage, a common approach is to give all workers a pro rata entitlement of days off in lieu according to the number of hours they work. So in your case, you would get 4/5 of the 8 bank holidays. This is then added to your annual leave and all bank holidays are taken from this allowance. For example, if you had a holiday allowance of 20 days you would add 4/5 of 8 bank holidays = 6.4 days (round to 6.5). This makes a total holiday entitlement of 26.5 days, including bank holidays. Any bank holidays that fall on your normal days of work have to be ‘booked’ from your 20 day entitlement.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 23-Nov-15 15:03:27

If I'm remembering right, if you don't work on Mondays you should be entitled to a percentage of B/H entitlement on top of normal annual leave. So if you work 50% of full time hours you'd get an additional 4 days.

Bounced Mon 23-Nov-15 15:04:00

For bank holidays, I have to add them all up, then pro-rate them and take them as part of my leave. So if a Bank Holiday falls on a working day for me, it comes out of my BH leave allowance. If it doesn't fall on a working day I get to keep that leave and use it whenever. Since I don't work Monday's, I always end up in credit, which is nice.

I have a separate sheet for my pro-rated normal leave. I keep meaning to make a nice spreadsheet that does it all for me...

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 23-Nov-15 15:04:32

X post blush

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 23-Nov-15 15:06:23

Bounced - I used to have a lovely spreadsheet that not only did mine l, but the rest of the team's too.

I used to be quite clever! 😄

FellOffMyUnicorn Mon 23-Nov-15 15:08:19

so you should get bank holidays, but a pro rata'd version

you work 3/5 so you should get 60% of 8 (which I make 4.8) + 60 % of 22 (13.2) which I make 18

balletgirlmum Mon 23-Nov-15 15:11:12

Agree with pp about bank holidays. Besides they are not all Monday's (good friday, Xmas & new year for example)

mammmamia Mon 23-Nov-15 15:14:49

Yup PPs are right. I used to work 3 days a week and was entitled to benefit from a certain number of the bank holidays. If they didn't fall on my working days then by the end of the year I would have a couple of days extra holidays to take.

FellOffMyUnicorn Mon 23-Nov-15 15:17:20

If you actually want a BH off (like Christmas day) it has to come out of your entitlement as well

FrogletinaBallerina Mon 23-Nov-15 15:50:12

Thank you so much - it makes a lot more sense now. Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now