Talk

Advanced search

Being treated differently because I am part time

(2 Posts)
Jemster Tue 17-Nov-15 21:17:16

I work part time although am there every day and my hours work out at 70% of a full time person.
I have the same job title & job description as my colleague although we do have different areas we are responsible for.
I feel increasingly that I am being left behind while my colleague is gaining more & more experience & responsibility. She is given most of the projects, goes off on courses, attends all the meetings & has a large amount of interaction with other departments. People who used to come to me on issues have now started going to her.

I have tried to talk to my boss about things & how I still want challenging work and am keen to develop my skills & experience. She has said to me in the past that it's sometimes difficult to give me things as I am part time & it's no good if something happens & I'm not there to deal with it. Fair point but I'm starting to feel like I'm just not taken seriously as I'm p/t and I am not being given nearly the same level of development opportunities. There are plenty of projects that I could do within my hours but I just feel like I'm being completely overlooked.

Does anyone have any advice please? Has anyone else found the same thing when returning p/t after having children? I actually feel that my 'career' is dead in the water simply because I want to be able to see my children after school. I do understand that p/t is not great for the employer but I am very hardworking when I am there so feel I'm currently being under-utilised and it's starting to make me feel demotivated & a bit resentful to my colleague (who is lovely & I get along very well with).

CountryLovingGirl Thu 19-Nov-15 19:37:24

I have been part time for 11 years now and, yes, it happened to me. It happens a lot as part timers are treated less favourably. It becomes a stark choice between career and children I'm afraid unless you are very lucky and work somewhere nicer.
Will you go full time later?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now