Talk

Advanced search

Should I quit?

(4 Posts)
GingerPCatt Tue 17-Nov-15 09:28:13

I started a new job in July and I hate it. I've been struggling with anxiety which is mostly due to work. If I resign this week I won't have to go back after Christmas. There are two jobs that I'm going to apply for before Christmas. If I don't get those, we can survive on DHs salary for a few months but will really have to tighten our belts. My main concern is if quiting my job will have an effect on my CV and references and being able to get jobs in the future. Should I go ahead and resign and pray I get one of the jobs, or stay until I get another job? I've been in my field for over 10 years and otherwise have great references. What should I do?

noblegiraffe Tue 17-Nov-15 09:37:01

Unless you have a job where you can easily find something else (e.g. Maths teacher) then don't quit with nothing else to go to. Think how much more stressful and anxious you would be with no job and no money.

If things are stressful at work maybe talk to your manager about how things could be improved? Or see your GP about your anxiety?

While you do that, apply for everything else going.

GingerPCatt Tue 17-Nov-15 10:08:56

Thanks.
My manager is useless and just says that I should figure it out. I've been to the GP and started antidepressants which are helping a bit.
While my field isn't in high demand, I know there's another job (plus the two I'm applying for) which will come up in the new year. There's may also be another job as well. Two of these jobs are with my previous employer. I got on well there and enjoyed it. I only left because I was working unsociable hours. These jobs I'm looking at are better hours but lower pay then what I was on.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 17-Nov-15 10:13:23

Yes quit for your health and sanity. If you have a good reputation with your previous employer and know people there I wouldn't worry too much about a potential small cv gap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now