Ex Physics Teacher (good head for maths also )

(12 Posts)
Pabys Wed 11-Nov-15 11:53:36

Hello
(Good head for figures)
Does anyone has suggestions for other areas where I can use my transferrable skills and would not have to start from the bottom? Everywhere I have looked so far requires that I have programming skills (IT skills) and 5 years + experience in that particular area.
Can anyone assist please with suggestions?
Thanks

ReallyTired Wed 11-Nov-15 12:01:31

That is really hard. I think you have list your strengths and what you have to offer. Maybe consider general graduate jobs rather than jobs directly related to physics.

Do you have an adversion to programming and IT? Or is it just lack of experience. The difficulty is that a rusty bit of FORTRAN 77 learnt of a physics course in 1995 might not count as programming these days. In the past physics graduates could enter programming with little experience, but no there are graduates with degree in software engineering who need minimal training.

Being positive. Would you consider a role in training? Software companies often employ ex teachers to deliver training. A teacher will have good people skills, maybe a role in HR might suit you.

Maybe you could look at private tutoring. I know someone who tutors A-level students chemistry and its reasonably well paid.

Can you afford to retrain? That programming job would be more obtainable with a masters in the right area.

Pabys Wed 11-Nov-15 12:13:37

Ok, thanks for your reply. IT programming has never been an area of strength I have looked in to it. Yes, I have tried the tutoring but have not managed to get enough students ;-(. Can't afford to retrain at the mo.

ReallyTired Wed 11-Nov-15 12:30:50

To survive and be happy as a programmer your need to be the sort of person who really enjoyed that FORTAN 77 course you took many years ago. It takes a certain type of brain/ personality and if programming is not for you I would suggest you look at different careers.

Would you consider tutoring of younger children? Maybe you could work for a franchaise like Kumon or Kip McGrath or explore learning where all the materials and advertising are provided for you.

Unless you are are able to retrain I think you need to be prepared to start off from the bottom. Are you working at the moment? Could you do some voluntary work to get some experience in a different sector other than education.

fabulousathome Wed 11-Nov-15 14:56:39

How about chartered accountancy ACA as a graduate trainee? It's the right time of the year to apply to the big firms. Your degree is more than relevant enough and you earn while you train.

Warmworm Wed 11-Nov-15 21:55:59

Patent examiner? Low starting salary but rises fast if you're good at it. Needs a technical degree. Lots of ex teachers.

ReallyTired Wed 11-Nov-15 22:07:22

You would have to move to Newport, South Wales to be a patent examiner. Quite a drastic decision.

Warmworm Thu 12-Nov-15 07:45:48

Perhaps she lives nearby?

EBearhug Thu 12-Nov-15 07:53:45

Have you looked at MOOCS to fill in any knowledge gaps? Lots of IT-related ones, including some on specific skills like java.

zzzzz Thu 12-Nov-15 07:53:50

Nope. There is no magic miss out the experience you need and jump gazelle like into the higher ranks confused
What do you WANT to do with your time?

ReallyTired Thu 12-Nov-15 12:10:42

Would you consider volunteer work to give you experience outside education.

zzzzz I think the OP is looking at a way of getting a foot in the door, rather than to leapfrog people with experience. It is hard changing career and having to start at the bottom again.

slug Thu 12-Nov-15 12:27:06

I successfully managed to move from teaching into learning technologies. Because it's a fairly new field, there is little in the way of formal routes into the profession. Most of us tend to be ex teachers, ex IT types, ex administrators or a combination of these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now