Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Social work career prospects

(2 Posts)
Magic69 Mon 02-Nov-15 13:32:54

I qualified as a social worker in June (EBR) and continued to work for my employer in substance misuse and probation, as I was going on ML anyway. I started to apply for SW roles and attended an interview (two weeks from giving birth) and was offered a post in adult mental health with the NHS.

My passion is youth offending and probation work.....however, I have three kids and money is also an important factor.

I signed a contract for the AMH job as I did not think I would get another job.

I am due to start in the new year however I have yet to resign from my old post (worried they will stop my maternity pay, which is SMP now) and I have an interview for a Youth Offending Team (with a slightly higher salary, but further out of borough, working for council)

Dilemma is...if I get the YO post, I will love to take it. But how do I get out of my contract ...is it even valid considering I have not started the post and will not start until Jan 1st and I am on probation for 3 months anyway?

In social work....where is there the most money and post potential for growth? I am hoping to eventually become a forensic psychologist and work in prisons, but I am being told my everyone that mental health is where the future of social work is heading in terms of opportunity and funding.

But I know I can offer something to youth offending and that's where I have the most confidence

Any help will be appreciated

Magic69 Mon 02-Nov-15 13:36:19

ps- its like a bird in hand

I don't want to hand in my notice, get into a whole legal minefield regarding the AMH contract and not get any salary for December......the interview is on Nov 5th and they want someone to start December 1st.

I was going to hand in my notice this month, as I need to give 4 weeks notice but should I wait it out to get this YO job?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now