Talk

Advanced search

Lied and got someone else to take a test for me

(15 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Thu 29-Oct-15 17:01:30

Preparing to get flamed here for this.

I work or worked as a legal secretary. On Tuesday after a run in with a colleague who was rude and unpleasant to me I stupidly walked out of my job (resigned) I'd had it for 5 months. Basically I'd been sat doing work for only half days (I was working 5 days full time) as my boss was disorganised. My colleague was rude generally to me and we were admin top heavy on the legal side. Anyway I left, had an exit interview promised a reference.

I'm with some employment agencies but my bugbear is I hate typing tests and physically shake whilst doing them so get a lower speed. I was so so stupid and paid someone else to take a typing test online for me for an agency. This morning said agency invited me for an interview with a big city law firm who test typing and speeds at interview. So I had to decline the interview as I've lied. I said I was nervous taking tests and could not do it at the interview, the owner of the agency rang me to tell me all city law firms test typing at interview now and tried to persuade me to go to the interview.

My situation is I've worked as a legal secretary for past 5 years, 2 jobs, 1 for 5 years and 1 for 5 months and before that for about 20 years have been a PA/secretary/team secretary.

I feel awful re the lying and being found out. And I copied another agency in on an email where I mentioned I'd resigned with a week's notice so of course they'll talk won't they?

I don't know what to do. Maybe join other agencies or apply through interviews and don't lie again.

Sorry this is long. Since resigning I've been upset on and off anyway.

DreamingOfThruxtons Thu 29-Oct-15 17:05:37

I would use this as a learning experience- and yes, join other agencies/routes and be honest from now on. I do understand the nerves thing, so it's mainly sympathy from me although I really don't agree with cheating. In your case, though, you're confident you do have a good speed in RL, so...

Could you look at strategies to cope with tests better? Maybe set yourself regular tests so that they become more everyday to you?

OneHandFlapping Thu 29-Oct-15 17:31:56

They still test typing speeds? I thought that vwrnt out with the ark! Surely every office worker can type at a reasonable speed. Surely there are more important skills for a PA?

Do they ask for shorthand too?

EBearhug Fri 30-Oct-15 00:09:59

Can you do any practice? Haven't taken a typing test in years, but they used to be just copy typing a load of stuff, and presumably typing a load of spoken stuff if it's audio - it must be possible to do some practice for that. Also, consider breathing exercises and so on. And if it's really bad, maybe talk to your GP. (I was on betablockers when I finally passed my driving test...)

SuperFlyHigh Fri 30-Oct-15 10:00:38

EBearhug

I will do some practice. I will also mention things to my GP too. I did have tablets for tests (beta blockers?) - it is mostly copy typing. I am fine in an office setting tests get me nervous and I shake. I did conquer this before I got my last 5 year job - just did lots of tests strangely enough this was more when you had to type in an employment agency office as a test, and I got better, less nervous.

OneHand - yes typing is still tested. No shorthand asked though.

Dreaming - I am mortified I cheated - as I would never normally do this - I panicked and didn't know what to do. It was stupid as I paid 50GBP for someone to take a test and it must have been obvious I cheated.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 03-Nov-15 16:51:53

Ok slight update. Have been doing the odd typing test practice online and also have rang some agencies.

I also got betablockers from GP and he's a hypnotist and said he would treat me for this that way, obviously would take some time.

Heard back from an agency today and ta da typing test time for doing before Friday. I'm sitting here like a gibbering wreck. Should I just go for it and stuff the consequences and practice a lot beforehand so I can test eg Friday morning?

EBearhug Tue 03-Nov-15 23:44:02

I would practice a lot and have a go on Friday, and then if it doesn't go well, then you've still got the hypnotism as a back up - sounds like you've got a good GP.

Viviennemary Tue 03-Nov-15 23:49:45

You realise now it was a foolish thing to do. Have a go at the interview and register with some other agencies. Can't believe somebody took money for doing the test for you. I'm a fast typist but would not do this for somebody. It's very deceitful and couldn't end well. Hope things work out.

DreamingOfThruxtons Wed 04-Nov-15 10:09:33

OK; do a few practise sessions today, then (assuming this works with your schedule), take the blockers tomorrow and try it. If it's really catastrophic, is there really all that much to lose?

1) You could pop by and explain that although you are fast and confident in a workplace setting (and your work history should attest to this), you are not great under test conditions- something you are working on. And also,
2) I'm pretty sure there'll be other agencies to try if that doesn't work out.

SuperFlyHigh Wed 04-Nov-15 16:20:31

OK got an update here.

I am currently at home in between work… and I took the test today. without beta blockers! I did have some Bach Rescue Remedies pastilles so took a few of those and just calmed the F down!

I did a few online practice tests and lessons just to get me back in the zone.

Surprisingly I got a good result. Thank you all for all your help and support. I hope it leads somewhere.

I am going to see about the GP hypnotherapy sessions though if they work around my work as this will help me in future, the GP seemed to think I have a mental block and anxiety and this is true.

DreamingOfThruxtons Wed 04-Nov-15 16:36:40

Yay! Congratulations, what a great outcome. smile

SuperFlyHigh Wed 04-Nov-15 17:04:43

Dreaming - I was surprised at myself… had nerves but had a cup of tea and a biscuit and just chilled out…

I was almost determined not to take the beta blockers though as looked up the side effects and thought, it's not worth it.

DreamingOfThruxtons Wed 04-Nov-15 17:11:54

Well, you've given me hope for taking my driving test (I get totally panicked!).

EBearhug Wed 04-Nov-15 19:40:54

Oh, that's great news! Glad it went well.

EnlightenedOwl Sat 07-Nov-15 17:14:53

some type test some don't I am a legal PA have only worked for 3 firms in total; most agencies will type test whatever level you work at

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now