Talk

Advanced search

Old job overlaps with new... Advice please!?

(4 Posts)
Francesca89 Mon 26-Oct-15 20:48:02

Hi all smile

I've just handed in my notice with my old employer (Job A). I was only contracted part-time hours and had to give a months notice. I had so much holiday left over though, that it was agreed I would work one week and have three weeks as holiday.

My new job, which is an apprentice on full time hours, starts in two weeks time. Obviously, I'm still technically employed by Job A, and I understand both jobs will overlap by a couple of weeks with me finishing one and starting another.

I was wondering, will I be emergency taxed, as I won't have my P45 until I have received my last pay packet from Job A (which will be December!)? Is it easy to rectify once I officially have left Job A?

Any other advice is most welcome regarding tax etc! X

Ellypoo Tue 27-Oct-15 16:45:10

Hi, yes you will be put on the basic rate for tax, but as soon as your old employer notify HMRC (should be in the next payroll after your employment has finished), and you receive your P45, hand it in to your new employer - there shouldn't be too long an overlap, and HMRC can (occasionally) be quite quick to sort out new PAYE codes. There is also an online calculator and form (https://www.gov.uk/check-income-tax) to check that you are paying the correct amount of tax, but I wouldn't use this until you either receive a PAYE coding notice following the start of your new employment, or you haven't heard anything for a month or so following the end of your employment with A.

Does your old employer know about the overlap, and is there anything in your contract about working elsewhere while you are still employed?

LittleInsaneBloodRedSparke Tue 27-Oct-15 17:00:11

can they pay you in lieu of holiday and release you earlier?

DoreenLethal Tue 27-Oct-15 17:02:10

You can do a P46 instead. Nothing to worry about - I've done this loads of times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now