Talk

Advanced search

Maternity pay confusion!

(11 Posts)
Beckywood1989 Mon 19-Oct-15 21:37:57

Hi all
My husband and I are hoping to start TTC in January. I currently work as a nanny and the family I work for are leaving for a year in Australia at the start of February. We decided this would be a great time to start trying. I have a couple of days work lined up and the mother isn't at all fazed that we're planning a baby. However, 2 days work does not make up for the 53 hours I'm currently working.
Can I stick with nannying knowing that I'm planning my own family? Can I take maternity leave working for a family? (I realise that legally I can but I would feel terrible) Or should I get a "proper" job and risk the backlash of falling pregnant soon after starting??
Perhaps I should have listened to my father and not gone into childcare!

00100001 Mon 19-Oct-15 21:51:19

you're entitled to SMP at the least - your employers should sort it out for you.

www.nannytax.co.uk/employee-rights/statutory-maternity-pay

nannynick Mon 19-Oct-15 22:12:33

Can I stick with nannying knowing that I'm planning my own family?

Yes, as a nanny you should be an employee like any other so are entitled to the same rights at work. It can be tricky at times but you should try to go to work on your work days and your employer will hopefully make some adjustments to your job, such as letting you have more time to sit down during the day.

Can I take maternity leave working for a family?

Yes, if you qualify for SMP, for small employers that is funded at 103% so the family are able to pay you your statutory payments. You build up holiday allowance whilst on maternity leave, that is not accounted for in the government funding so there is some cost to your employer. Your employer would have the hassle of getting a temp nanny to cover your leave.

If you do not qualify for SMP, such as being pregnant before you start the job, then you may qualify for Maternity Allowance.

Returning to Work

You do not have a right to bring your baby to work with you. May seem strange to say that but some nannies think that they can do that. Some parents will let them do that, so it is worth talking about but you should not assume that your employer will permit it.

nannynick Mon 19-Oct-15 22:15:57

I currently work as a nanny and the family I work for are leaving for a year in Australia at the start of February.

Have you been employed by them for more than 2 years? If so then this is likely to be a redundancy situation. Look in to your rights, such as redundancy pay.

We decided this would be a great time to start trying. I have a couple of days work lined up and the mother isn't at all fazed that we're planning a baby. However, 2 days work does not make up for the 53 hours I'm currently working.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that you have got 2 days a week of work lined up for February onwards? If so, that is great as it is certainly better than no work at all. If you can find 2 or 3 more days that would be even better.

You do not have to tell prospective employers that you are TTC.

Beckywood1989 Tue 20-Oct-15 08:03:33

I've not been employed 2 years, I started in March 2014

Sorry I didn't word that very well. Yes 2 days work from February. It is better than nothing I agree but it's still a big pay drop and we have lots of financial commitments and it's a worry.

Beckywood1989 Tue 20-Oct-15 08:05:26

It's the family having to find a temporary nanny that makes me feel like it's not fair. I got my current job because the nanny took maternity leave and decided not to return after. I remember my employers having to fork out some money for her mat pay and I realised that doing that and paying for a nanny was quite tough.

Penfold007 Tue 20-Oct-15 08:09:48

Surely your current job ends in February? If so your former employers won't be liable for your maternity pay or leave.

Beckywood1989 Tue 20-Oct-15 15:32:00

Yes it does. It is any employment I take after that which concerns me

LIZS Tue 20-Oct-15 15:37:22

Assuming you are not pg when you start another job you would be entitled to SMP from a new employer. Failing that you may be able to claim Maternity Allowance..

Penfold007 Tue 20-Oct-15 22:27:04

In any new job you need to have been employed for 26 continuous weeks before the 15th week baby is due. So if your pregnant when you start you won't qualify.

Penfold007 Tue 20-Oct-15 22:28:01

In any new job you need to have been employed for 26 continuous weeks before the 15th week baby is due. So if your pregnant when you start you won't qualify.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now