Talk

Advanced search

How long is normal/reasonable to wait

(8 Posts)
cogitosum Sun 18-Oct-15 20:45:51

To find out if you have an interview?

Applied for a job a few weeks ago now. Got an automatic reply saying they'll contact after closing date which was the 4th so nearly 2 weeks ago.

I've applied for jobs before where it's a case of 'if you haven't heard in 2 weeks assume you've been unsuccessful' but this strongly implied they come back to you either way.

Also there's an online tracking thing that has last activity as my application.

But I've never waited so long and not heard anything? Not really much I can do just thought it'd be interesting to see if this is normal or implies bad news or when I should just give it up as lost.

daisychain01 Sun 18-Oct-15 23:17:03

Difficult to know if all hope is lost. I would assume so after this long.

Disappointing I know but I would keep looking elsewhere.

cogitosum Mon 19-Oct-15 07:33:43

Thank you.

I'm not actively looking so not the end of the world. Just find it odd not to have heard when they said they'd contact either way and have this whole online status update thing that hasn't been updated.

cogitosum Tue 20-Oct-15 11:43:56

Wondering if it's worth sending a polite email asking if there's an update...

flowery Tue 20-Oct-15 13:28:15

I can't see that emailing them will hurry up a shortlisting decision tbh.

I would move on and assume you haven't been successful. If they do get back to you and have shortlisted you, great, but don't give more thought or effort to it.

cogitosum Tue 20-Oct-15 18:37:59

You're right won't email thanks!

It's silly just not knowing for sure is stressing me! Just find it odd they'd say they'll let you know either way and then don't! Hate knowing there's nothinb I can do iyswim

LemonBreeland Tue 20-Oct-15 18:48:20

I applied for a job with a closing date of 5th and only got an email yesterday letting me know.

cogitosum Wed 21-Oct-15 19:56:18

Thank you.

Heard back. Delay is because of internal movement. Nice email but guessing it may mean they won't be having he position anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now