Talk

Advanced search

Can any HR people (or anyone else) advise on this sick pay issue?

(6 Posts)
Monroe Sun 18-Oct-15 18:28:20

I was in a car accident yesterday. Car behind me smashed into me on the motorway as I stopped in traffic. I cracked my head quite badly on the headrest and am now developing symptoms of whiplash. I know I definitely won't be in work tomorrow and ideally would like to take a few days or a week to recover but not sure if I am entitled to sick pay.
I started in November on a short term contract. This was picked up again soon after then in May I was given a 14 month contract. So I have worked there since Nov 14 but my current contract started May.

Our sick policy states you are only entitled to sick pay if employed for 6 months or longer. Does anyone know which of my start dates they will go from?

I can't afford to be off with no pay especially as we might now have to buy a new car as well.

Thanks

DragonMamma Sun 18-Oct-15 23:07:36

Sorry to hear about your car accident.

It will really all depend on your contract and whether they have given you continuous service. If you had a break between the contracts then it would be unlikely whereas if they have run concurrently then I would say that you have met the requirements to be paid company sick pay.

You really do need to check your contract though - it would usually say the date your latest contract commenced but also if there's a continuous service date.

Monroe Mon 19-Oct-15 07:17:00

Thank you, I think I only ever received one contract right when I first started. I'm certain I've never had to sign another.

It was a bit messy when I started due to redundancies going on at the time. I was given a 5 week contract then 3 months then 14 months but always on the understanding it was rolling. I have definitely been employed continuously.

I'll give HR a call this morning and see if they can clarify

LIZS Mon 19-Oct-15 07:21:56

As long as you have worked for same employer with no breaks it counts as continuous.

Penfold007 Mon 19-Oct-15 07:29:51

Monroe if you haven't already had medical treatment please see your GP today and inform your insurance company that you have whiplash. You may need to claim against the other driver.

Monroe Mon 19-Oct-15 07:46:18

Yes, it has definitely been continous. But on out internal hr system there are 2 start dates, one in November and one in may which is why I'm not sure.

I went to the hospital on Saturday, then contacted 101 yesterday as the whiplash symptoms came on later after the accident.

Going to call hr later. If needs be I can work from home for a few days but I'd rather have the time to actually be recovering not working

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now