Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to teaching

(12 Posts)
Frizzyliz Sat 17-Oct-15 14:39:45

My husband has been a teacher for about 6 years and has been very unfortunate and never been able to find a stable teaching job. He finally got a permanent position but due to external circumstances (we are currently trying to decide if we get legal advice) he has now been let go only 5 weeks into the job.
He is going to take a few weeks to rest and recover from what has happened and then think about the rest of his life.
Teaching hasn't been what he thought it would be and has never given him the security he thought it would and all the things he has been through I wonder if it's worth the effort.
When he feels ready to think through the next step I want to be able to help him with options for alternatives.
Can anyone help suggest careers that might be worth investigating with the skill set he has from teaching.
I want to be able to pick him out of this awful hole he is in.

tedhis Sat 17-Oct-15 23:59:51

What does he teach?

daisychain01 Sun 18-Oct-15 05:24:18

He may enjoy corporate training. Similar in terms of good communication skills, patience and passion to help others learn and develop

He could do contract work so flexible a day be able to get experience in different industries

daisychain01 Sun 18-Oct-15 05:24:53

And may...

Frizzyliz Sun 18-Oct-15 14:45:17

Secondary science teacher

OuxiSue Sun 18-Oct-15 14:49:03

How old is he? Could he do a graduate trainee scheme like the typical milk round ones?

antimatter Sun 18-Oct-15 18:48:14

All depends on his experience outside of teaching and degree to some extend. He has to spend some time on writing his cv but obviously he needs to decide where he wants to go next. He culd apply for jobs as a consultant in companies where he has to learn everything about the product to help to make customers successful. Has he got any customer facing experience?

antimatter Sun 18-Oct-15 18:49:46

Also depends what your local job market is like.

Frizzyliz Sun 18-Oct-15 19:53:29

He did a degree in forensic science, then was a lab tech in a school before doing his pgce and becoming a teacher.
He worked in a cinema during uni but that's it. He turns 30 next year so there's plenty of time for a career change.
I want to be able to point him to various things to investigate in case he decides teaching isn't worth it anymore.

MagratGarlikAgain Sun 18-Oct-15 22:18:01

He could consider something like schools liaison officer roles for the Royal Society of Chemistry or Royal Society of Biology (assuming his degree has enough chemistry/biology content to be a member of either).

Universities also have school liaison roles, or roles to promote wider participation (encouraging those who typically wouldn't consider university), which I'd have thought ex-teachers would be ideal for.

If he wants to use the science in his degree (even for science roles in industry), he'd really need to get a PhD, but there are funded opportunities for this.

antimatter Sun 18-Oct-15 22:49:47

He could consider session with career development consultant.
In 2007 whole department in our company got made redundant.
I had a then a test and couple of hours 1-2-1 with this company paid by our employer.
It helped me to answer several questions I had and to make up my mind what to do next.
I am still in the same kind of job as they helped me to identify then.
www.hda.co.uk/career-development-outplacement/11-career-coaching/

JoMottaghi Thu 22-Oct-15 20:32:07

Hi Frizzyliz, I could have written the same message as you about my husband. He is an English Teacher instead of Science but everything else is very familiar. I just don't know how to help him anymore after a number of jobs that haven't been what he hoped for. It's very stressful. I only know one other teacher who changed career but she taught languages so had a clearly transferable skill. Anyway, just wanted to let you know you are not the only one and I hope someone comes on with some advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: