Talk

Advanced search

Dreading tomorrow...

(5 Posts)
Simplelife1234 Tue 15-Sep-15 19:07:09

I'm at my wits end to the point that I feel sick about going to work tomorrow. I have a full time job Monday to Friday 9am til 5.30pm with 1 hour lunch break. Currently due to my work load I am starting work at 7.30am and finishing anytime between 6pm and 8.30pm with no lunch break. I'm sitting here worrying about tomorrow already when I should be concentrating on my family life. I feel so stressed and don't know what to do. Anyone been in this situation? My OH says to get a new job, easier said than done when I'm living for work all week. I just don't know what do do

bangbangprettypretty Tue 15-Sep-15 20:25:19

You really need to speak to your line manager. If this has been going on a while, you need to be open that you are working 11 hour days. Otherwise, no one will realise you are struggling and will just think that is your norm. Lots of people in my industry don't have assistants but struggle like mad then wonder why they don't get any help - but don't share that they are doing mad hours.

Are you the only one doing these hours? Is there anyone else who can take at least some of your role?

I ended up getting signed off with anxiety and it made me re-think my workload and also revise my productivity and learn just to say 'no'. How long have you been working like this for?

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 15-Sep-15 21:39:29

If you are living for work then start looking for a new job that gives you a better work life balance, otherwise you will end up making yourself ill. I speak from experience.

KiwiJude Wed 16-Sep-15 03:20:29

Stuff that OP, how long has this been going on? Start taking your lunch break at work every day. Speak to your line manager; as bangbang says, if no-one knows you're doing stupid hours nothing will change. Depending on how your chat with line manager goes, spend your lunch break looking for another job. I know it's not that cut and dried but you need to start thinking about yourself - the cemeteries are full of indispensable people!

daisychain01 Sat 19-Sep-15 09:58:10

I would suggest a formal review of your workload with your line manager and agree your objectives, revisit your role profile and make sure you get their agreement on workload And what to do if you get overloaded. Can you push back on anything rather that take on too much work in the first place?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now