Talk

Advanced search

Glimpse of the future

(3 Posts)
Kettricken Sun 16-Aug-15 14:07:10

Just had a glimpse of what my job will be like in the future and I don't like it. Company wide my whole department has been sold to another company so we will all be moved under TUPE in February to this new employer. At the moment I have support from higher level management on site, in future although I will be working on the same site I will have no-one senior to me there.
I am on the last day of 2 weeks holiday and have just had a phone call from work. Nothing major, the duty manager has sorted it but wanted to keep me in the loop. I have now realised that when issues occur in the future there is not going to be anyone to help my team and I'm going to be disturbed at home all the time.
I don't know what to do. I would love a simple job where I can go home at the end of the day and not have to worry about anything but this would mean losing a lot of money. If I stick it out until February but don't sign up with the new employer I'll get redundancy presumably. I could look for another job in the same field but I am so lucky with the location and hours I have now I'm not sure I would be so lucky elsewhere, I believe a lot of this is protected under TUPE if I stay. This situation is very new, only found out about it before I went on holiday so haven't had any consultation with current employer yet.
I just don't want the responsibility any more and this could be a fantastic opportunity to try something else. But I don't want to let my team down and I think it's only going to get worse over the months as people jump ship. I have to look after my sanity though and I will not cope with what I have glimpsed today. I really want to leave. Sorry for the ramble, I just needed to write it all down somewhere.

Stripeysocksarecool Sun 16-Aug-15 14:36:08

I don't think you will get redundancy if you choose not to TUPE to the new company. Also, once you've TUPE'd across, the new employer can change your ts and cs.

Suggest you check out the legal position before you do anything. Have to say though, with more pay comes more responsibility. Plenty of simple jobs out there, but don't expect management pay.

flowery Mon 17-Aug-15 06:07:42

"If I stick it out until February but don't sign up with the new employer I'll get redundancy presumably."

You don't get to decide not to "sign up" with the new employer. If your whole department is being transferred then so will you, it won't be optional. You will need to resign if you don't want to work for them.

Your terms and conditions are protected indefinitely though. It will be no easier for the new employer to change them than it would be for your current employer to do so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now