Talk

Advanced search

New job opportunity and dying Dad

(9 Posts)
whatisforteamum Sat 15-Aug-15 21:38:52

I have been at my current job over a decade and have until last yr an excellent attendance record.We were taken over 2 yrs ago and my manager took an instant dislike to me.I had to stay put as Dh was seriously ill and all my other colleagues were lovely.They have mostly left now as the new work set up is very physically demanding.
New people started and decided the manager was rude and left reporting him.He has calmed down a bit now.The thing is ive been offered another job more money slightly better hrs no 14 hr days.I also know someone who has gone there who i worked with previously.
One reason ive stayed put is Df is dying.He has only months left.I thought my current place would stand me in good stead but one of my colleagues has no sympathy for me regarding df and has made rude comments in the past so ive been putting up with alot and concentrating on my family and df .I have had some annual leave and realised just how excessive my work structure plus these 2 unsupportive nature and comments on my age (i am the eldest employee).I have put on weight not working a couple of weeks.
Would i be mad to go for this other job or am i clutching at straws hanging onto my old workplace knowing they will put the boot in when they can and may well do when df dies.

midgeymum2 Sat 15-Aug-15 21:42:55

I'm so sorry about your Dad.

Ye, I think you should take the new job. What would be the benefit of staying where you are?

CountryLovingGirl Sat 15-Aug-15 21:54:33

Sorry to read about your dad. I am going through a similar thing with my mum (terminal cancer) so I know how you will be feeling.

I would take the other job. Your present place sounds awful. If the new job is more money and better hours then go for it.

Take care of yourself xx

whatisforteamum Sat 15-Aug-15 22:14:03

same terminal cancer for df and incurable but so far treatable cancer battle for Dm.Benefit where i am its a big company verses family run business but the new people seem enthusiastic and less pressure in job role.I wonder where i will stand when df dies as ive not mentioned it.I go to work positive and all dressed ready for action only to be shot down in flames most days.We are so very short staffed as people who left havent been replaced yet so doing lots of extras (all of us).i thought my 8 yr no absence would help me at present job?

whatisforteamum Sat 15-Aug-15 22:15:57

My other colleagues are pleased to see me for what its worth just a couple making life hard its exhausting.

midgeymum2 Sat 15-Aug-15 22:27:57

It doesn't sound like you feel valued in your present job.

If you weren't experiencing the current situation with your Dad, what would you do?

whatisforteamum Sat 15-Aug-15 22:36:19

Probably go and i may well just do that.The emotional support and camaraderie have gone.Ive been pushed to work alot more hrs and have mentioned that doing double is too much and its fallen on deaf ears,Also now i cant drop everything at short notice and help others as we ve helped dad do up his house for when he goes and he has been v ill for a few weeks (ok at the moment).I have been loath to add a new job into the mix.I do feel much stronger for being away though.

EBearhug Sun 16-Aug-15 16:01:16

I would go to the new job.

whatisforteamum Sun 16-Aug-15 21:49:07

Thank you all for replying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now