Talk

Advanced search

Would I be mad to leave this job?

(7 Posts)
poocatcherchampion Wed 12-Aug-15 17:29:41

I've been in my current role for 7 years, although had 2 periods of mat leave within that period.

I am bored of it and although I enjoy the working with people bit the actual routine of the job seems samey and going nowhere. There are no promotion opportunities in my small dept (Local authority)

The good things about it are:
- very flexible hours - I work up to 25h a week to suit me (within the demands of the role - lots of meetings) including evening work if I like on the sofa
- home working when not at meetings
- 20mins commute to office if I go in.
- flexibility to take more time off in holidays (Childrens services so everything gets quieter)
- very self directed in terms of what I actually do - which projects to progress etc

But as I say bored.

I've seen a role advertised that would be a good next step:
- more traditional local authority (current role is a spin off dept hard to explain) would give carrerr opportunities for future
- interesting work and less time organising and sitting in meetings
- feel like I'm back in the thick of it.
- could probably negotiate a raise from current role but don't want too much of a promotion as it would equal more hours/stress

It would be an approx 30-40 mins commute - presumably most if not all days I work.

I would have to negotiate part time hours - but 4 actual days absent from my children would be a lot - even 3.5 (the way it works now feels like less)

But it would be good to leave work at work

This particular role does not have to be the one but would be a good approximation of it (and there are not many that have come up although I haven't really been looking).

There is more info but that is enough to start I think.

The question is - would I be mad to leave?

tribpot Wed 12-Aug-15 17:33:18

You certainly wouldn't be mad to apply - why take yourself out of the running before the race even begins? That would then give you the opportunity to explore the role a bit more, get a gut feel in interview and even sound them out about home working.

Staying still for too long can have long term repercussions for your career, I would certainly be exploring your next steps. Good luck with this one.

Marmitelover55 Wed 12-Aug-15 17:34:36

I think you should. I took the plunge earlier this year. I has a cushy job 15 hours a week which was very flexible. But I had been there for 7 years and was soooo bored. My new job is great - more hours at 25 and it feels great to be learning new stuff and I'm so much motivated. It is only for a year though as it is maternity cover - so I'll need to find something else next spring!

CountryLovingGirl Thu 13-Aug-15 06:45:24

I suppose you have to weight up stuff like childcare availability and cost. I travel 45mins-1hr approx. each way for work and it can get really bad in the winter. My job was moved from my hometown grrr. If you pay for childcare you will have to add that to the mix too.
I would keep the job you have if it were me as the flexibility sounds great for a mum.

CountryLovingGirl Thu 13-Aug-15 06:45:55

weigh

poocatcherchampion Thu 13-Aug-15 07:47:46

But its so boring!!! smile we have a nanny so childcare is not insurmountable, although there will be a littley soon to deal with as well.

Oldest gets preschool hours at nursery.

tribpot Thu 13-Aug-15 08:50:38

It sounds like you have pretty solid childcare arrangements, so you aren't in desperate need of the flexibility/low hours of the current role.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now