Talk

Advanced search

can boss make me work nights??

(13 Posts)
ClosedAuraOpenMind Sun 09-Aug-15 10:22:19

I've worked for my current employer for 10yrs, and have never worked routinely worked evenings or nights. there have been occasions where I've done this when required. while I've had a flexible working agreement in place since coming back from mat leave 4yrs ago I've always tried to be flexible and work different hours if required, if I can make childcare arrangements
but now boss is talking about having me work a week of late shifts (3pm till midnight) every 12 weeks
this would cause massive difficulties - DH currently picks up DD once a week and if he had to pick her up everyday he'd have to take the week off - which would mean no pay as he's self employed
DM usually helps a bit with childcare but can't at the moment for health reasons
so essentially I'm asking if I can be made to routinely work a week of late shifts, even when I've never done this before and it goes against my flexible working agreement?

daisydukes229 Sun 09-Aug-15 10:28:04

It entirely depends on what is in your contract.

For example whilst I don't work weekends, in my contract it does state that my shift pattern can include weekends. So in the future if they wanted to my employee could ask me to work them.

If your contract doesn't mention evenings specifically it may state something like "shift pattern subject to change with x amount of notice"
If it doesn't state this in the contract it may state it in your employee handbook.

It would be impossible for us to tell you unless you check your contract and your employee handbook.

Lucked Sun 09-Aug-15 10:32:27

I really don't know but hopefully someone will be able to help. Is your DD at school or nursery?

Tiredemma Sun 09-Aug-15 10:35:03

Who normally works this pattern if you cannot do it? What time does your DH finish work? Is your DD at school?

DoreenLethal Sun 09-Aug-15 10:36:31

What is your flexible working agreement?

ClosedAuraOpenMind Sun 09-Aug-15 10:38:01

DD is just about to start school but will be going to after school

my hours are specified in my flexible working agreement but my contract also states I will work whatever hours my boss determines within reason

Tiredemma Sun 09-Aug-15 10:39:47

Can I ask why DH would need to take a week off work if he collected from after school club?

ClosedAuraOpenMind Sun 09-Aug-15 10:41:37

oh and my flexible working agreement states the hours I work Monday to Friday and that I will work weekends when required

ClosedAuraOpenMind Sun 09-Aug-15 10:43:35

DH hours are unpredictable and can often be antisocial. in his industry 6pm seen as an early finish. he gets grief from his boss for having to finish at 4.30pm one a week confused

igetitnow Sun 09-Aug-15 10:47:01

It sounds like you will need to work it based on what youve said about your contract.
Could you approach your boss and explain your issues and ask if there is a way around it?

As an alternative, whilst not ideal. Nursery/after school club/childminder runs til 6pm and dh could pick her up then?

Lucked Sun 09-Aug-15 11:45:00

Does it mean you could pick dd up 11 weeks out of 12? His boss might be sympathetic if he is to finish at 5.30 for 5 days e dry 12 weeks rather than 12 days at 4.30.

CountryLovingGirl Sun 09-Aug-15 20:57:02

My childminder looks after children until later sometimes (up to 8pm). I know some parents are police officers and work later. She also doesn't charge extra for out of hours and only charges when she is needed.
Could he get home for 7pm?

bloodyteenagers Sun 09-Aug-15 21:02:51

If your dh is self employed then how can he have a boss that dictates working hours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now