Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Got to work rather be at home with ds

(5 Posts)
C4ALR Wed 05-Aug-15 23:07:56

I'm looking for some advice even though I'm probably asking too much really.
My situation is I work 30 hours a week, my mum looks after ds for the whole time, my dh has recently had a shoulder operation so is unable to work for a year but was self employed so get no financial help, because of the op has lost his contracts so has no work to return to when he is well.
Iv recently had 3 weeks at home with my ds and now am really not wanting to go back to work. Also I work as a deputy manager in a children's nursery which is currently being tendered out to a private sector which will include a pay cut.
Regarding my mum looking after my ds, she gets tired so it's not ideal for her to have him the whole 30 hours, I can't afford nursery fees and have no one else that can help out really. I'm just on a real downer I don't enjoy my job at the moment at all. I'm wondering wether I need a change maybe a job my ds can be involved in or one slightly better paid so I can reduce my hours.
I have an nvq3 in childcare as my main qualification, does anyone have any ideas of my careers options with this??
Thanks for your help x

StopCallingMeRichard Thu 06-Aug-15 07:04:56

Childminder? Reading threads on here there are parents of SEN children who would love to find a specialist childminder. Are there specific qualifications you could gain?

Or look to run your own nursery. Is this something your husband could help with too if his work is intermittent?

Iggi999 Thu 06-Aug-15 07:15:13

Is your dh's mobility such that he could mind your son for a year - or at least share load with your mother? It seems a bit of a "waste" of an adult to be at home all year while the DC goes out. Maybe at the end of that year you could work part-time at least? Check that your benefit entitlement won't increase with only one adult working and a potential pay cut too.

Asleeponasunbeam Thu 06-Aug-15 07:19:53

Would becoming a nanny earn you as much as your deputy manager's role? You could have your child with you then.

I pay my NWOC £8.50 p/h gross. Perhaps you could find 2 part time nanny jobs - one to take your DS to and one without, which could be more highly paid.

Penfold007 Thu 06-Aug-15 07:22:33

Your DH should apply for PIP as he has temporary disability. As a couple you need to check your eligibility for child and working tax credits, housing and council tax benefits etc. Specialist advice from the CAB or Turn2us would be a good place to start.

Whilst your DH is unable to work he could take on the SAHP role and care for your child.
DH also needs to be looking at what work he can do when he is fit to work again. As mentioned above becoming a child minder might work for you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: