Talk

Advanced search

could i be an apprentice at 40 years old ?

(8 Posts)
thriftychicken Mon 03-Aug-15 20:02:09

sorry if this is a ridiculous question but after i left school i worked a dead end job and then for the last 20 years i have been at home caring for my son who has a disability and also suffering anxiety issues myself .

i know there are lots of apprenticeship opportunities around at the moment aimed at school / college leavers but would it be crazy to apply to them myself ? would anyone want me ? would i just seem silly as they are only for the youngsters ?
I know i appear clueless , but i am . ive spent a long time without much company and no outside work .

thanks

WeAllHaveWings Tue 04-Aug-15 17:13:37

I think there is an age limit for most sectors for the employer to get gov help with the cost of training.

Donge13 Tue 04-Aug-15 17:14:47

After a certain age you have to pay for the training

thriftychicken Tue 04-Aug-15 18:10:41

thankyou smile

Northernlurker Tue 04-Aug-15 18:19:08

No that's not correct, as far as I know, no there's no upper age limit. There can be an issue if you already have qualifications of a certain level but it sounds like that's not the case for you. I have personally employed two mature apprentices. The pay is awful but it's a good way to get back in to work imo. Get on and apply grin

Donge13 Tue 04-Aug-15 19:28:43

On the job sites where i live,it states over the age of 26 that you may have to fund your own qualification and you must not have a degree

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 04-Aug-15 20:09:38

There is no upper age limit, but employers often receive funding for 25s and under.

Owllady Tue 04-Aug-15 20:12:50

What lonecat said
Have you got any qualifications op? Could you apply to go to uni? Or look at the ou?
You have cared for someone with a disability, so that gives you lots of skills an insight above your 'dead end job's as you call it! Have faith in yourself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now