Talk

Advanced search

application form query

(10 Posts)
pullthecracker Mon 03-Aug-15 19:24:32

I recently made a huge mistake and left my career of 15 years, for something completely different.
6 new jobs came up at my last place of work, and one of the managers told me to apply.
I did so and waited for the closing date. I had been competent in my role, and ran the department when the manager wasn't there. I trained and achieved further skills to enhance my role (which the company paid for) and I had not had any issues brought to me about my work.
I was unsuccessful with my application because my personal statement wasn't as long as the others, and despite having included everything from the person specification in it, I hadn't done it in individual sections.
They were unsuccessful at recruiting at interview and re shortlisted. However, apparently my form was still not as good, so I've not been shortlisted again.
They are desperate for more staff and other managers have said that they would employ me again in a heartbeat.
I am still employed by the company on as and when shifts, and could therefore step straight into the role without having to wait for security checks,uniform etc.
The manager who shortlisted said that even though they know I am good at the job, because my form wasn't as good as the others, they can't shortlist me.

Is this correct, is there no way of getting past that?

LIZS Mon 03-Aug-15 19:27:20

If it is a competency based selection process then yes whatever you stated on the form will have been measured against the job specification. Presumably yours is wanting in comparison to others.

pullthecracker Mon 03-Aug-15 19:36:42

So there would be no chance of saying that the manager bypassing and saying that they know how I work and what my skills are? As I say, they are desperate for more staff?

iklboo Mon 03-Aug-15 19:41:15

I feel your pain.

I've just been rejected for a job today despite doing it in an unofficial capacity for 2 years. Just because I didn't give the 'right' answers to hypothetical questions & score enough 'points' to get the role.

Even though I can do it with my eyes shut - and productivity more than halved when I was off on long term sick, showing what a good job I really do.

caroldecker Mon 03-Aug-15 19:57:09

Can your manager not write help you with the form?

flowery Mon 03-Aug-15 20:01:19

Legally no there no reason at all they couldn't shortlist you and it would seem beyond daft not to if they are genuinely that keen to have you back.

But if there is a rigid company procedure in place regarding shortlisting, then yes that may restrict them. Procedures can of course be bent if the appropriate person with the authority to decide that is convinced it is a sensible business decision to do so.

caroldecker Mon 03-Aug-15 21:13:26

They normally have the rigid procedure to defend themselves from unfair HR policies. They need a document which lays down why they chose you and how you meet the criteria other applicant's did not.
A helpful manager should know what they need and thus how to write it.

pullthecracker Mon 03-Aug-15 21:56:21

Thanks everyone, my manager said she will help me with the next one I do, just don't know when that will be. Can't stand the job I'm doing at the moment.
iklboo so sorry, it's horrible isn't it? You just feel like telling them what they can do with their job don't you!?

iklboo Mon 03-Aug-15 22:37:21

You do, cracker. Think 'what exactly is it you WANT from me?'

pullthecracker Mon 03-Aug-15 22:46:28

As people keep saying to me, it's their loss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now