Talk

Advanced search

Decision to make re new job!

(9 Posts)
chocolatechip123 Mon 03-Aug-15 10:57:08

I work part time. Absolutely love it - no stress, lovely people, all relaxed and flexible (so fantastic if i need a day off with a sick child). It doesn't stretch me a bit but has been wonderful during a couple of terrible stressful periods at home. Pay very low and getting lower as they've had to cut hours. We can't manage at the moment on that without dipping into savings.

I've been offered another job. More 'professional' - so more stress, more work, more of an environment where I will need to be constantly on the ball. Company seems nice, bit too laid back so I will need to gilo in swinging. I'm a bit scared - what if I've got too soft and can't do it (I've got over a dozen years experience and qualifications in this field)? My last place was so stressful and awful (oh the politics!) that I was delighted when my job was made redundant.

Hours will be more and the pay over double (pro rata).

I suppose I'm a bit scared. What if I am useless?

chocolatechip123 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:30:10

[Crickets] anyone out there?

lazycoo Mon 03-Aug-15 11:32:08

Why do you need to go in swinging if they're more professional? I'm a bit confused. Can you give more details without outing yourself? Do you feel you need to bust some balls to prove you're good? My advice is only shake things up if that's what you're being paid to go in and do.

I suppose I'm guided myself by doing what's right for me and my family. If you need the money, go for it. Is it a 'step up' in career terms?

sisterofmercy Mon 03-Aug-15 11:33:03

You have been offered another job so they must think you can do it. Borrow a little of their confidence in you and fake it until you feel more secure. You can always use the more challenging job as a way of building up your skills for another job if it doesn't work out.

chocolatechip123 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:40:15

My current job is a bit/lot down skilled from my new one, if that makes sense (imagine working in a sweet shop as opposed to creating the sweets). New one is managing the chain!

Its not really a step up career wise - its what I was doing years ago! I downshifted when my last job was made redundant.

lazycoo Mon 03-Aug-15 11:44:40

Money talks grin

Congratulations on the offer - go for it! You need the money, you've got the skills, they like you... starting a new job is always scary, the nerves are good, they make sure you do it right.

chocolatechip123 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:52:20

I am, as your name states, a lazy coo! I think I've got flabby (mentally) in my current job. Maybe its a confidence thing? I have a postgraduate in the subject ffs!

New one - suit, smart, presentable (client facing)
Current - jeans, converse trainers, baseball shirt. Hair not necessarily brushed. Makeup only if I have a pimple!

Does one still wear scarves tied jauntily around the neck in the city?

lazycoo Mon 03-Aug-15 12:06:49

Lol a jaunty scarf, are you an air hostess?! I think work attire has loosened up in the past 10 years. I wear a dress and cardi to work and I am v senior in a professional org. I wore a sparkly jacket to a meeting last week because I felt I had to, but the girl I was meeting dressed like I normally do.
Confidence ebbs and flows, but residual skills and talent remain. You got this. And if you don't like it, it could springboard you into something better. At least you won't have money worries.

chocolatechip123 Mon 03-Aug-15 12:38:26

Sparkly jacket! Are you a ringmaster?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now