Talk

Advanced search

new job issue please help!

(14 Posts)
firsttimemom1987 Thu 30-Jul-15 07:15:13

Hi can anyone help me please? ive been offered a job in a school as a catering assistant starting in september. I have to give 4 weeks notice in my current job. There not starting the dbs check and other checks till 2nd week in August which won't leave me much notice for my current job. I don't know if I should hand my notice in now and hope for the best or wait till ive had the all clear and officially been given the job which could mean just a weeks notice. I want to leave on a good note as I get on with all the staff. Any advice would be appreciated!

StealthPolarBear Thu 30-Jul-15 07:22:56

I'd wait till you get a formal unconditional offer and then hand in notice. If that means you can't start when they want you to, well that's their problem, they really should have factored in notice period

LIZS Thu 30-Jul-15 07:31:29

Why are the checks being delayed? Can you let them know it may affect the start date.

firsttimemom1987 Thu 30-Jul-15 07:33:00

In the interview they said I would be starting in september and he said i see you have to give 4 weeks notice and I said the school job is my priority so I kinda said in not so many words that it didn't matter but im panicking now I don't know what to do. Im guessing there going to do references in the mean time so my manager may find out before my checks are through. Should I just mention it so when I do hand in my resignation they will have known but then if it falls through it may make it uncomfortable to carry on working there. I don't know what to do!

StealthPolarBear Thu 30-Jul-15 07:35:31

If you've handed in your resignation and the offer falls through you may not have the option to go back

firsttimemom1987 Thu 30-Jul-15 07:36:21

Liz its my first time working in a school so im not sure why. Can I ask what the start date would be before my checks are through?

firsttimemom1987 Thu 30-Jul-15 07:40:43

But if my manager finds out from giving a reference before my checks come through and I haven't said anything would that be worse?

LIZS Thu 30-Jul-15 07:41:14

It is unlikely you could physically start before the checks are through but LA DBS checks can take only a few days if online (Longer if on paper). It may be that the person who approves the request is away until mid August but they need to be aware that you can't hand notice in until you have written confirmation of the offer.

firsttimemom1987 Fri 31-Jul-15 06:39:04

Could they not pay me for the month I leave if I don't give them 4 weeks notice?

GrumpyOldBiddy2 Fri 31-Jul-15 06:47:53

Have you to your current boss you're leaving? This doesn't count as giving in your notice, you just say 'I have another job, I will formally hand in my notice when the checks are through)
Do you have any annual leave you can take in lieu of notice? So you give 4 weeks notice but have a weeks annual leave owing so actually leave in 3 weeks.

FishWithABicycle Fri 31-Jul-15 06:56:06

They can't not pay you for work you did.
They can spoil your future job applications by saying you broke contract by leaving without notice on your next job application (you usually have to give current and previous employer)

Is there some serious possibility that you might fail the dbs? If not, I think you should hand in your notice 1 month before the start date of the new job.

I had an employee who handed in their notice in august because she was hoping to start a course of full time study in September but wouldn't be hearing whether or not she had the place on the course till mid august. In the end she didn't get the place - she rescinded her notice (formally in writing) and we kept her on. She was a decent enough employee and it saved me the hassle of recruitment and training. Obviously she then left for another opportunity within 6 months but that was entirely expected as she clearly wasn't happy.

Unless your current employer hates you then you could let them know that there is a tiny possibility the job you are going to could be delayed and ask them whether you might stay on (perhaps as casual labour on a zero hours zero notice contract) for a week or two more if the new employers aren't ready for you at the start of September.

Noeuf Fri 31-Jul-15 06:58:23

Grumpy - is that really true? I'm not sure that wouldn't count.
Op if your current boss is asked for a reference and you haven't mentioned anything it is a bit odd for them.
If I understand correctly you have been offered the job subject to dbs and references? But implied you don't need to work your notice?

Lagoonablue Fri 31-Jul-15 07:02:23

It's a pain when this happens. I am to start a job in Sept but have to give 2 months notice! My new employers HR have been so slow in getting the formal offer to me that it will nearly be Oct when I start.

I handed in my notice when I got the job offer letter. It is still subject to refs and DBS though. Can u not hand your notice in now? If u expect your refs and check to be fine.

firsttimemom1987 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:37:06

I have informed my boss of the situation but shes unsure if I can retract the resignation if I fail the checks. she needs to speak to someone higher up. Im confident with dbs check im a little nervous about the medical clearance as I have scoliosis. They are not doing the checks till 11th August and dont need references till 14th August. Do you think this is a little late for a september start?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now