Talk

Advanced search

Job interview - nhs HCA psychiatric ward

(12 Posts)
HarriH92 Thu 23-Jul-15 23:09:07

Anyone got any advice? I've finally got an interview after years of applications. It's my dream job but so anxious about the interview !

GraysAnalogy Fri 24-Jul-15 15:31:37

Have you applied through NHS Jobs? If so have a good look at the criteria and person spec and think of how you meet those. Be prepared to voice how you think you meet them.

Think of scenarios in which you've overcome things like challenging behaviour, how you resolve conflict etc. Including how you've done these things in the past, they sometimes ask you about situations you've been in beforehand.

Think of things like how you would provide patient centred care.

Think about why you want this role in particular.

Do research into the trust you'll be working for, have a look at their core values. These might be good to mention briefly.

If I think of anymore I'll let you know. I've sat on interview panels a few times. Good luck x

HarriH92 Sat 25-Jul-15 14:10:26

Yes it's through nhs jobs smile I'm from a rural place and this ward is the only one in the whole county so really want a good chance with this.
Thank you for all that information I'll defiantly do all of that.
Is it appropriate to bring notes into an interview? I'm just so worried my brain will go blank! X

GraysAnalogy Sat 25-Jul-15 14:20:41

Notes are okay, I wouldn't use them too much though it doesn't look very good if someone keeps having to refer to their notes. Loses eye contact and makes it seem less genuine IYSWIM?

Also think about all the skills you've got, think about how you can transfer them to this role. Another one is 'what do you do to improve' or something along those lines.

Also this might not come up but I've known it to in the past, can you discuss anything in the media recently about mental health

Best of luck

HarriH92 Sat 25-Jul-15 14:49:50

Ah yeah that totally makes sense!
I shall just spend the week completely preparing then I won't need them smile
Ah that's a good one - thank you for all this I really appreciate it.
Thanks!

milkysmum Sat 25-Jul-15 22:52:03

Have you worked in a similar position before or is this a change in job role for you? I'm a mental health nurse and have sat on interview panels in the past although it was a few years ago now and I have since moved into community nursing but I'll try and have think if you give me an idea what your background is?

HarriH92 Sun 26-Jul-15 01:02:23

I've done volunteer work with MIND for 2 years, and was a community carer before becoming a special needs LSA. So not much background.
My Aunty (more like my mum) is currently an inpatient and has been for a while and I've been there everyday and know the people on the interview panel so I'm hoping that wouldn't have any baring on there descion? She will have left by the time id be expected to start work . Any advice appreciated smile

GuiltyAsAGirlCanBe Sun 26-Jul-15 01:04:57

I think that that is amazing experience to prepare you for a role like this, and you should definitely talk lots about that.

HarriH92 Sun 26-Jul-15 01:52:07

Fab thanks smile

milkysmum Sun 26-Jul-15 12:28:18

I agree I think that is brilliant experience and I'd be interested to hear lots about your previous roles if I was interviewing you as think they sound very relevant with lots of transferable skills.
They are likely to give you several scenario type questions with things that might crop up on the ward, likely subjects might be how you would react in an incident when a patient has self harmed, is aggressive maybe? What you might do if someone discloses they have been abused so think about safeguarding procedures. It's ok in any of theses scenarios they give you to say " you know I'm not sure but I would go straight to the nurse in charge of the shift and discuss it with them first" that is exactly what I would want to hear to be honest.
They will definitely ask you about confidentially and how you would manage this,maybe particularly of you have had a close relative on the ward recently ( this will not put them off employing you though- you have excellent first hand experience from a carer perspective which I think is invaluable)
Above all try to relax. Don't worry if you don't know everything the ask, I would always be looking at attitude rather that knowledge, I can teach you lots of stuff but if you don't have the right attitude to begin with the what's the point- I think it sounds like you will be fab- good luck smile

JimbosJetSet Sun 26-Jul-15 12:32:32

Have a Google of the Recovery model, that's a big thing in mental health at moment. And have a think about boundaries too. Good luck!

HarriH92 Sun 26-Jul-15 12:50:39

Thank you all for the information. I've made a note and going to research on it all to be clued up!
Only thing I think I'm quite worried about are the scenario questions.
You've all made me feel a lot more at ease I've been so worried!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now