Talk

Advanced search

How long can a temp stay in the same role as a temp please.

(8 Posts)
BlueBrightFuture Thu 23-Jul-15 15:59:41

My friend has been working for the same company as me but she is a temporary worker whilst I’m permanent.

The company has decided not to make any more temps permanent. (we think this is because in time all our jobs will go abroad but we have no confirmation of this as yet)
She currently has 3 month contracts and has just been given a 3rd renewal. In the past temps were made permanent after 42 weeks ( I think it was) which is what happened to me. Perhaps this is because of what was agreed with the agency at the time but again I’m not sure about this as it has been a while now.

In view of the fact that temps are no longer being made permanent is there a maximum time a temp is allowed to work for the same hirer and if so does that meant the temp needs to leave at the end of that period if there is no permanent contract on offer?

Thank you.

RainbowFlutterby Thu 23-Jul-15 16:01:58

I don't know if it's changed recently, but I used to work with a temp who had been there for 15 years!

LIZS Thu 23-Jul-15 16:04:56

Ad infinitum as long as the role is there. If the contract is continuously with the same employer then they accumulate service (holiday, sick pay, employment rights etc) from the first contract.

happybubblebrain Thu 23-Jul-15 16:05:47

I have been a temp in the same position, with the same company and on nearly the same pay for just under 13 years (we did have a tiny pay rise 11 years ago). My whole team is in the same position as me. We have been told that if we don't like it, we should just leave and that we're never going to be permanent and we're never going to get a pay rise.

I work for the Ministry of Justice.

Oh, the irony.

So, the answer to your question is. How long is a piece of string?

GarlicDoughballsInGlitter Thu 23-Jul-15 16:20:17

Surely it is more expensive to pay the angry (which then pays the temp with a slice off the top) than pay a permanent?

BlueBrightFuture Thu 23-Jul-15 18:22:46

Strange thing is that I remember being made a permanent after 3 contracts of 3 months each. I can't remember the exact conversation but was told something along the lines of 40 something weeks was the max for a temp contract??? I did not question it at the time as I did not mind being temp or perm.

However in the meantime it was announced that no more staff would be made permanent. Since the announcement some temps left after the 3 month period. I personally know of 2. One of them struggled with the job so perhaps fair enough to let that one go but the other one was good and a nice person to work with. When they left they both said that it was the company who decided not to extend their contracts. Both were replaced by people who needed months of training! This is what makes us wonder if their is a maximum period temps are allowed to stay if they are not being made permanent. It is company policy that temps have to put all enquiries to the agency. Trouble is that she has done this but they do not respond... They are crap... Agency beginning with H

Hope this explains

flowery Thu 23-Jul-15 18:54:12

It's perfectly possible to be an agency worker placed at the same company in the same role indefinitely.

Temps who are employed by the company directly on successive fixed term contracts accrue employment rights the same as permanent employees do, and are considered permanent after four years on successive fixed term contracts.

BlueBrightFuture Fri 24-Jul-15 12:07:11

thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now