Talk

Advanced search

Debating whether to go to interview or not

(6 Posts)
athelophobic Wed 22-Jul-15 18:27:04

Backstory: I have a first class honours degree in psychology (graduated 2 years ago), and am currently working in admin at a local university. I had a rocky start with a department but after much hassle, managed to be transferred to a department under the same line manager but a different head of department (exactly where I had asked HR to move me-thanks in part to LM sticking her neck out and a letter from my psychiatrist recommending this move).

On a whim, I applied for a job as Trainee Psychologist (and while I was at it, 2 other posts -all with government ministries). Today I received an email offering me an interview for one of the other 2 posts (which is odd as the Trainee Psych post closed long before it and I haven't heard a word).

Wondering whether to attend this (or any!) interviews. I am well qualified for all 3, and all would pay roughly the same amount as what I make now. For interviews, all I have to lose is a couple of hours of annual leave each time... but should I consider leaving my admin job? The uni where I work is paying for me to do a Diploma in Management, which is a perk, but if I opt to do a Masters in Psychology, I would have to leave anyway and any of the other 3 would be much more relevant.

I feel like whatever I do, I'll regret it. Line manager relies v heavily on me at the moment (am subbing in as maternity cover for one of her PAs along my regular tasks) and I'll feel horribly ungrateful leaving after she was so sweet to me when I was in a department I hated.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 22-Jul-15 18:29:58

Go for the interview, you have no decision to make unless offered the job. Interviews are a two way process.

goingwildforcrayons Wed 22-Jul-15 21:29:31

What Sally said. Go along, show them what you are made of, find out about them and the role.

A) you might really like it and get it and go for it
B) you might really like it and not get it but know for certain this is the type of work for you that you want to pursue
C) you might not get it or decide its not for you and be happy where you are
D) at the very least its good practice and a chance for some feedback on your applications and interview

but if you don't go, you'll never know smile

arnieschwartzsnogger Wed 22-Jul-15 22:05:33

What do you want to do long term?

Admin and PA work is the road to nowhere IMO. I am on that road...

EBearhug Wed 22-Jul-15 23:36:52

Go to the interview(s). As has been mentioned above, you've got no decision to make until you've got a job offer. Remember that interviews are not just about them deciding if they want you, but also for you to find out if you would want to work for them.

So what was it about your whim that made you decide to apply? What is it that makes you feel unsure about it? What things do you like about your current job? What things don't you like? What do you think you'd want to do more of? What things would you be happy not to do again? Do you have any definite limits? (e.g. I won't consider jobs that would mean I have to be involved in 24 hour shifts, but on-call is bearable.)

Whatever happens in the interviews, when you come out, think about what you think worked well, and what questions you could have answered better. If you get rejected, ask for feedback.

Whatever you do, you'll have other interviews in future, so this is practice, even if you don't end up with a job offer this time.

LainyC13 Wed 22-Jul-15 23:39:32

My husband does recruitment for government ministries & if they have a poor quality sift they let through late applicants etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now