Talk

Advanced search

Can university lecturers take leave in term time?

(9 Posts)
Lagoonablue Mon 20-Jul-15 19:35:11

DH just got a job at local uni. We have a holiday booked in school half term. Obviously unis don't do half terms. Can you take holls during the term?

LIZS Mon 20-Jul-15 19:36:27

Some have "reading week" mid term.

Nolim Mon 20-Jul-15 19:36:31

I doubt it but he should check with his dean/provost/union.

ImperialBlether Mon 20-Jul-15 19:36:37

They do have reading weeks. He should ask his HR, rather than us having to guess!

Lagoonablue Mon 20-Jul-15 19:38:15

Yes he will ask but just got job today and it occured to me that we had this holiday. I thought someone might know.

RandomMess Mon 20-Jul-15 19:39:51

As a one of pre-booked holiday general places would honour it.

BackforGood Mon 20-Jul-15 19:53:38

Generally not encouraged, but a pre-booked week would probably be honoured.
With dh, his lectures often come in blocks, so he's not teaching all the time He's first and foremost a research fellow, so there will be weeks when he is away at conferences, etc. He can also take time off around his teaching commitment - so say take a Thursday off if he isn't committed to a lecture that day.

GlowWine Mon 20-Jul-15 19:58:15

I'm not a lecturer but I have a clause in my contract (academic) that does not allow me to take more than a couple of days during full term.

ManOfScience Mon 20-Jul-15 20:01:52

Up to a week in term time was OK at my old place, provided your teaching was covered.

I also had prebooked commitments honoured when moving, admittedly not a holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now