Talk

Advanced search

Psychometric testing

(6 Posts)
CalliopeTorres Thu 16-Jul-15 16:19:03

I've been invited to an interview but first am required to complete a psychometric test online. I have never completed one before, what can I expect and what kind of information does it give?

AalyaSecura Fri 17-Jul-15 07:25:37

There are two main types of psychometric tests- ability tests, often numeracy or verbal reasoning, which are normally timed, and where you would need to get above a threshold score to get through to tge next stage; or personality tests, where you are asked about your behaviour preferences, to then identify your personality characteristics - personality tests are less often used as a sift, sometimes they want to incorporate the results into the interview. Have they told you what test?

CalliopeTorres Fri 17-Jul-15 07:58:14

No, no information other than 'psychometric test' which isn't massively helpful!

rutalauk Fri 17-Jul-15 18:13:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AalyaSecura Fri 17-Jul-15 19:04:58

Calliope, if you've got no info, then the best option is to have a play at some practice tests to give you an idea of what they're like. The most popular psychometric tests are by SHL - their practice paper site is here.

If it's numerical reasoning - the maths is no more complicated than percentages and ratios, but you need to be fast, most people don't finish them.

Verbal reasoning - is like a comprehension test, usually asking whether you can tell if something is true or not based on what's written. Be careful about making assumptions, make sure the text definitely implies what is said.

Personality - no wrong answers. Don't lie, the tests can tell, but don't worry if it feels like you're contradicting yourself, the tests often force you to do this. Best advice is to be honest but answer what you're like on a really good day.

Hope this helps, good luck!

CalliopeTorres Fri 17-Jul-15 19:13:59

That's great thank you, I suspect based on the role it'll be verbal reasoning, I'll have a look online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now