Talk

Advanced search

Is it okay to ask for overtime pay?

(5 Posts)
newhairdontcare Wed 15-Jul-15 21:51:11

Hi,

Looking for a second opinion before I speak to my boss this week.

My job has always involved occasional overseas travel. Normally this would mean working a 6 or 7 day week (when contracted to just 5 days). It was made clear when I was interviewed that this is part and parcel of the role and I wouldn't be paid overtime or get the days back in lieu. My boss (the MD) has always given me a generous end of year bonus, so I consider some of this my 'overtime' pay.

However, my circumstances have changed since first joined the company 8 years ago. I now just work 3 days a week as I have a young DS.
But I am still expected to travel like I did when I worked full time.

My next trip will take place later this year and I'll be working for 6 days straight - so double my working week. I'm happy to go away - it's integral to my role but I would like to ask my boss if I can be paid for the extra 3 days. Primarily because I have a young DS who will need extra childcare during my time away. My last trip was for 5 days and I stupidly didn't ask for any extra money, so effectively lost money that week and time away from my DS.

Do you think I am being unreasonable to ask for extra pay that week?

I work for a private company who have some old fashioned views at times when it comes to things like time in lieu, overtime, mat leave etc. We don't have any form of HR department / personnel so it is just a case of a conversation with my boss.

Sorry to ramble on.

trilbydoll Wed 15-Jul-15 21:54:53

I worked extra at the beginning of the year and had to book DD in to nursery for extra sessions. I asked my boss if I could claim nursery on expenses - the way I phrased it was that I had no problem doing the work but I didn't want it to cost me money. He was fine with it, would that be an option?

newhairdontcare Wed 15-Jul-15 22:05:14

Yes, that might be an option. My boss isn't unreasonable...I'm sure she would consider doing it that way.

newhairdontcare Fri 17-Jul-15 22:23:01

Hi Trilby,

So, spoke to my boss today and the answer was...no.
Not surprised but disappointed.

Thanks anyway for your help.

trilbydoll Sat 18-Jul-15 10:49:25

Why not? Did she give a reason? I know p/t working requires give and take on both sides but let's not forget you do get paid less, it's not totally to the detriment of the employer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now