Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I ask about enhanced maternity pay before I sign the contract?

(9 Posts)
JaneEyreFunfair Mon 13-Jul-15 19:23:01

Hi,

I hope no-one minds me posting as a non-parent, but my partner and I would like to have kids in the next couple of years and I need some advice about a job I've just got.

I've accepted a job offer and been sent a contract, but it doesn't say anything about maternity leave policy. All the info I can find suggests this means they only offer statutory. However, my current job offers enhanced maternity pay, but it isn't mentioned in the contract, either - I only found out about it by looking up the policy on our intranet. The new job is the same sector and a similar type of organisation so I sort of thought they might have similar policies. (?)

Is it worth asking HR in the new job if they offer enhanced maternity pay or is that the sort of thing that will reflect badly on me? It's not like I'm planning on getting pregnant straight away or anything! They seem really keen to have me, and I assume they can't withdraw the offer after I ask the question, as that would be pretty solid evidence of discrimination?

Help! Any advice?

flowery Mon 13-Jul-15 20:09:49

Is it really a deal breaker for you??

If you've accepted the offer you might as well wait till you start and get access to the policies.

CatsCantFlyFast Mon 13-Jul-15 20:15:19

You can ask forcopies of any policies that supplement the contract without being specific

KanyesVest Mon 13-Jul-15 20:15:36

Would you ask if you can have a copy of the whole employee manual before signing? That way you don't have to specify you want to see the maternity policy.

JaneEyreFunfair Mon 13-Jul-15 20:15:55

I don't know. I suppose i can't really see myself pulling out of the offer at this point, and I know plenty of people get by with just statutory. I've got used to the idea of getting enhanced because I know my current employer has a pretty good deal.

KanyesVest Mon 13-Jul-15 20:16:16

Great minds, Merkin smile

JaneEyreFunfair Mon 13-Jul-15 20:20:51

Ooh, thanks, notwithoutmymerkin and Kanye's Vest. Good tips, I wouldn't have thought of that.

FurtherSupport Mon 13-Jul-15 20:26:09

Most intranets aren't secure and lots of info isn't password protected. If you google it you'll probably find it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now