Talk

Advanced search

Mat cover just quit. What to do?

(8 Posts)
Belleende Mon 13-Jul-15 12:44:40

I am on my 3rd week of mat cover. I manage a team of ten at a major charity. Just got an e mail letting me know my mat cover has a new job. They knew before I left apparently but didn't tell me as there was no plan in place (there is now, another internal candidate). I am livid. I have spent the last 18 months Turning the team around and devising a new strategy which I presented to the Board the day I left. The team has not had the easiest of times and I am worried that some key members will abandon ship. What could/should I do whilst on mat leave? Anything/nothing?

Unexpected Mon 13-Jul-15 12:53:17

Do nothing. It is unfortunate that your cover replacement has left but it is up to the management team to solve the problem - which they have now done. Presumably the internal candidate will not need as much time to get up to speed and can continue forwards with the new strategy. I'm not sure why you are "livid" - with whom? - the cover for leaving, the company for not telling you before you left, someone else? Whatever, it is not a good use of your remaining time before the baby arrives. Relax and let them get on with it.

StonedGalah Mon 13-Jul-15 13:25:20

I think you need to let HR sort it out. You are either on mat leave or working, you can't do both.

Try to enjoy your time away from work with your family. All the shit will still be there when you return, promise smile

flowery Mon 13-Jul-15 13:32:39

Not sure why you are livid. I imagine they didn't want to worry you before you left, and were getting a plan in place, which they have now done.

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Mon 13-Jul-15 13:54:55

What you should do is chill out and stop being livid. You don't work there right now, it has nothing go do with you.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 13-Jul-15 15:21:23

Leave it be. This is your time to think about just you and your family, you only need to get involved with whatever the situation is when you actually return to work.

Enjoy your maternity leave while you can, it goes by so quickly.

Belleende Mon 13-Jul-15 16:21:00

Have chilled a bit now. Was annoyed as there was another suitable candidate who lost out. Would have gone with her had it be known my replacement was looking outside the organisation. Any hoo feck all I can do.

Skiptonlass Wed 15-Jul-15 12:03:07

This only can work in your favour - see, you do well in your job, your replacement doesn't.

Do nothing, enjoy your mat leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now