Advanced search

new in town

(5 Posts)
whitney85 Fri 10-Jul-15 16:12:54

It's not really the right category for this topic but couldnt find the right one. I need your advise.
Lets imagine small town in Scotland. And to this town come an immigrant family, polish one. There are 2 adults (who really want to work) and 2 children age 2 and 4. Are they welcome? How should they act and where should they go to meet people? How to bond?
There are few reasons I ask.
Thirst of all, I know only one family where I am going to move.
The other reason is social mood toward immiigrrants shown in the last elections.
I really wanna go, experience something new and meet new people.
But from the other hand I'm afraid if we wont fell unwanted in the sort of way...
I don't want to offent anybody, I want to make the right decision before it;s too late.

WaitingForFrostyMornings Fri 10-Jul-15 16:22:54

It does depend on the town itself. Some communities are very tight knit and newcomers are not particularly welcomed into the community where others are very diverse and new families are welcomed in easily.

Whatever you decide you will integrate better if you join local clubs and organisations. With your 2 year old go to toddler sessions if they have them locally. Your 4 year old may go to the local nursery or school so volunteer with them.

Families find it easier to be accepted into the community if they actively try to be part of the community. Some families don't make much effort to join in the community events and then find it very lonely and difficult to integrate.

Good luck with your move grin

whitney85 Sat 11-Jul-15 10:51:55

Thank you for the nice answer. I know there is a playgroup so I can check it out.
What bothes me the most at the moment... each time I respond to an ad on gumtree, about house or flat to rent, I get no answer. And I wonder its becouse I'm foreigner or Brits just dont answer to emails...

WaitingForFrostyMornings Sat 11-Jul-15 18:00:45

That maybe because you are on gumtree. It's not the best place to find accommodation. Try searching on a dedicated property website like rightmove or prime location and then apply through the estate agent the property is advertised with. smile

whitney85 Sun 12-Jul-15 09:22:26

Oh, ok. I'll try. Thanks. Gumtree is the most common way to find accommodation in Poland so I figured it works the same in UK ;-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now