Talk

Advanced search

Leaving on a low...

(9 Posts)
PinkPlaid Thu 02-Jul-15 23:51:48

Hi all,

I recently resigned from my job because I was out of my depth and finding the fast-paced (& at times chaotic) environment incredibly stressful.

I've got a couple of weeks left and I just want to leave quietly. I feel sick going in every day, and dread the pass-agg comments from colleagues. I am trying to remind myself I'll be gone soon, to grit my teeth and bear it etc. just feeling a bit of a wimp about facing the people each day sad

I should add that I found out I was pregnant two days before resigning. I'm feeling anxious and stressed rather than happy though, which is hard... I know it'll be over soon, would just love some tips or thoughts on getting through the days without blubbing!

Thank you for reading x

joopy79 Fri 03-Jul-15 14:58:57

Congratulations on the pregnancy and well done for resigning from a job that wasn't right for you.
What are your colleagues saying? Try not to react and they'll soon get bored! Make a countdown for your desk so you can see how many days left you have. Play pass-agg bingo, write down the comments in the morning and cross them off during the day as you hear them. You could tell us what they say so we can give you some witty cutting responses.

PinkPlaid Mon 06-Jul-15 09:00:55

Thanks so much for your reply, joopy79, much appreciated. I think ignoring it and smiling through is all I can do...

In terms of the pass-agg stuff, hard to be specific without identifying. One thing that feels a bit pathetic is our 'big boss' (let's call him Jon) has arranged dinner for the team to say thank you for all our hard work. Only he's booked it when everyone's available but me. I don't mind at all - I'm relieved not to be going. He just keeps bringing it up in front of me and saying how brilliant it's going to be. It's all really cringe.

He's not acknowledged I'm leaving to my face, and is being quite weird around me. I find it troubling but don't want to get sucked into behaving in a way that makes ME look petty. Trying to assume the 'adult' role to his 'child' (playground bully).

Being really pally with the rest of the team, excluding me, basically acting like I'm no longer there... All very childish. It's a while since I've worked anywhere quite so unprofessional.

I feel sick every day from morning sickness anyway, and the anxiety is compounding it. I'm just hopeful I can get through it with gritted teeth...

Skiptonlass Tue 07-Jul-15 20:59:56

Grit your teeth and be really professional. Most industries are small worlds and you'll likely see some of the same people again in future. It does suck, but although it's tempting to tell people exactly what you think, it's never a good idea. In a couple of weeks you'll be out of there and feel so much better.

Candra Tue 07-Jul-15 22:11:53

Take the last weeks off with pregnancy sickness and just don't go back in.

NiceBitOfCheese Tue 07-Jul-15 22:34:33

I second Candra's suggestion (would you get sick pay?).

Or instead, would they agree to you leaving earlier than your agreed date? No-one really wants unmotivated staff around, it can create an unsettled environment.

PinkPlaid Wed 08-Jul-15 08:47:57

Thanks so much for the responses, all. Do you think it's worth me talking to HR about the morning sickness in confidence? I really don't want my manager to know I'm pregnant - haven't told family yet! I guess I'm hoping they'll suggest I start the day a bit later, leave on time etc. it's one of those places where you could work till midnight every day and still not get everything done sad

I must say, getting signed off really appeals, but I'd feel guilty. I know they think I'm massively leaving them in the lurch. Urgh.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 08-Jul-15 08:56:17

Don't feel guilty.

They are treating you like crap.

If they weren't you would probably not be feeling the need to be signed off but would struggle through to end. They brought it on themselves by not acting like adults.

Littlef00t Wed 08-Jul-15 18:40:07

Surely if you're leaving you should be leaving on time anyway? Not your problem if the work doesn't get done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now