Talk

Advanced search

Not what I signed up for!

(6 Posts)
RockerMummy184 Thu 02-Jul-15 13:50:45

This might seem quite petty and I hadn't thought about it in this sense until a friend mentioned it while I was venting. There's a bit of a long background story to go with this so please bear with me.

The company I work for is very small; until recently it was just the MD and myself. We have recently taken on 2 new staff due to the way the business is growing, so there are now 4 of us in the office.

1 of the ladies has been with us a month. She is very inexperienced having never worked in this sector before, and never having had to work with computers. She has also been unemployed for a number of years after being made redundant from her previous role, so was out of the swing of things. It's taking her a long time to get to grips with the basics of what we actually do as a company, let alone the technicalities.

The other lady has been with us 2 weeks. Also inexperienced in the sector we are working in, but has been working in temp admin roles for the last few years, so we though she would easily pick up the data inputting side of things. She hasn't.

The MD has decided to take a holiday this week since I am due to go on maternity leave in about September, and he said it might be the last chance he gets. This means I have been left to run the business as well as continue training and keeping an eye on the new staff.

So, (and this is where it starts to get petty), I was wondering what right my boss has to do this? It is a LOT of responsibility to be running (someone elses) company by myself, let alone having to oversee 2 people who are not yet fully trained or competent in their roles.

I wasn't asked in advance of this whether I was happy to be put in this situation, and it is definitely not in my job description to be in charge of the company and staff in his absence (if it had been I would be asking for a fair bit more money than I currently get!) I have been offered no financial or social benefits for the added responsibility and pressure I have been put under.

Anyone have any advice on what I can do? Should I ask for some kind of bonus when he returns? Or a pay rise? Or should I just keep quiet and accept that he can pretty much do what he likes as it's his company?

netnetcurtains Thu 02-Jul-15 14:38:39

I do not think it would be unreasonable for you to speak to him on his return and ask for an increase. It sounds like he is expecting you to manage/supervise the two new colleagues and as such should pay you more.

BeeRayKay Thu 02-Jul-15 14:48:28

He can do what he likes. Joy of running your own company.

But you are well within your rights to ask for a bonus, just like he is within his to decline.

eurochick Thu 02-Jul-15 14:50:10

He can take a holiday! He is about to manage without your help for the duration of your mat leave!

flowery Thu 02-Jul-15 14:57:15

A week?

When I'm away for a week no one else is in charge of my company, or running it. No one has to make any higher level decisions than they otherwise would, as I am contactable. Is that not the case with your boss, or are you having to make significant decisions about running the business that you would otherwise not have to?

If you are uncomfortable with whatever additional things you will need to do, you are of course within your rights to raise that with him.

But to be honest, if it's just a case of keeping things ticking over for a week, I would be surprised if a bonus is in order.

RockerMummy184 Thu 02-Jul-15 15:19:09

Yes flowery I am expected to make decisions I wouldn't normally have to.

euro I am aware that he is entitled to take a holiday as he wishes, and as you say he will still keep the company running while I'm on maternity leave, but it is HIS company, and the decisions are HIS to make. If I don't make the decisions on his behalf the business will not make any money, which, as he is now paying 3 sets of wages, will be more detrimental that if he were to have closed the business for the week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now