Essential criteria on application form question.

(21 Posts)
Tanfastic Tue 30-Jun-15 09:35:18

I've seen a job that I would really like to apply for. I've downloaded the job description where it lists 18 essential attributes required for the job and 4 desirable. I have 17 out of the 18 essentials and 3 of the desirables. I know I could do this job as I've been in a similar role for the past 20 years. The one essential criteria I haven't got is that I've never used PowerPoint (I'm sure I could learn very quickly though). It's just not something we need in my present role.

What I am wondering is there any point me applying or is a HR person just going to look at the fact I've not got all the 18 essential criteria and put me on the no pile?

Heels99 Tue 30-Jun-15 09:37:15

Say you have used PowerPoint. Go online and do powerpoint tutorial or get a friend to help you, it's easy to lesrn. Don't let it stop you from applying for the role. Be aware you may need to do a PowerPoint during the interview process

NerrSnerr Tue 30-Jun-15 09:37:42

Use PowerPoint today. Then you've done it.

Tanfastic Tue 30-Jun-15 09:42:06

That's what husband said wink. However, what should I put on the application form as an example? Not sure how to word it.

UniS Tue 30-Jun-15 09:45:33

" I have learned to use PowerPoint presentation software , using it occasionally. "

HelenF350 Tue 30-Jun-15 09:46:34

PowerPoint is pretty simple to use if your IT literate. I would an online tutorial or two and say you have a 'basic knowledge'. smile

UniS Tue 30-Jun-15 09:46:47

And get on with learning it..... Give a presentation to the kids tomorrow night, bedtime story maybe?

CMOTDibbler Tue 30-Jun-15 09:48:12

Powerpoint is easy. Make a powerpoint now of threads of the day on MN, watch a tutorial. Show PP to the children. Done.

Example: used PP to demonstrate womens use of social media as a coping mechanism during an informal discussion group.

Tanfastic Tue 30-Jun-15 09:50:42

Thanks you wonderful people smile.

Out of interest am I right in thinking even though I've got 17/18 essential I wouldn't be considered for interview?

HeadDreamer Tue 30-Jun-15 09:54:45

Another saying you have 18/18. If you can use word, you can use PowerPoint. Just make a few slides now and says you have used it. It really is very easy.

flowery Tue 30-Jun-15 10:15:36

No one here can tell you whether you'd be shortlisted for this job. If they don't have hundreds of really good applications, they might, but if they have loads of people who meet all the criteria, they probably wouldn't.

So why risk it? Look at some Youtube tutorials, do a few presentations, job done. You are now competent in Powerpoint (or certainly will be by the time you start the job, yes?).

leftyloosy Tue 30-Jun-15 12:52:07

As a related issue one of the things I read last week about the "Tim Hunt, women in science" business, was that women are less likely to apply for jobs/grants/fellowships unless they have at 95% criteria or even exceed it. Men (generally speaking) are more likely to apply with as little as 20% criteria matched!

flowery Tue 30-Jun-15 14:37:47

Yes I don't think it would occur to the average male not to apply in these circumstances, or to apply and say they'd not used Powerpoint.

Jellified Tue 30-Jun-15 16:41:52

You'll be fine. If you can use Mumsnet you can use Power Point. I promisegrin

Gfplux Thu 02-Jul-15 18:38:59

Agree will all other posters, go for it.
If you don't get this one, remember in future when an employer lists as many as 18 essential requirements it is always a little tongue in cheek.

Tanfastic Thu 02-Jul-15 18:47:22

Thanks smilesmile. Application has gone in, will keep you posted. I must admit I did think there was a lot of essential criteria.

Tuskerfull Thu 02-Jul-15 19:42:32

This is what I came here to say: women are less likely to apply for jobs/grants/fellowships unless they have at 95% criteria or even exceed it. Men (generally speaking) are more likely to apply with as little as 20% criteria matched!

PowerPoint really is easy, you can definitely use it. So you have 100% of the essential criteria!

lljkk Thu 02-Jul-15 19:46:32

Even I could manage to learn Powerpoint.

Something like "I have brief experience of using PP" would be truthful & tick the box.

when my organisation shortlists, we don't require all essential criteria, but we do score applicants against both essential & desirable criteria. So I guess 'brief experience' would be a low score, but there are 17 other items to score + the desirables.

18 essential criteria is quite a lot! shock hmm

Tanfastic Fri 10-Jul-15 16:53:57

Well after all that I never even got an interview. confused thanks for all the tips though.

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Tue 14-Jul-15 23:50:44

My ten year old showed me how to use PP in about ten minutes!

Another person surprised that you'd think this was a reason not to apply. I applied for a job once that stated a certain qualification was essential. I didn't have it and still got the job.

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Tue 14-Jul-15 23:53:10

Sorry, I didn't see your update before posting. Sorry you didn't get the job, but have more faith in yourself next time. Do you think perhaps you didn't sell yourself enough, if you were worried about a minor thing like the PP experience?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now