Talk

Advanced search

If I hand in my notice and my employer asks me to leave how much pay will I be entitled to??

(10 Posts)
polealltheway Fri 19-Jun-15 21:43:14

So I will be handing in my notice next week, I have been employed by this company for nearly 2 years but I don't have a contract.

The direct gov website said I must give one weeks notice but I was going to give two weeks. if my employer says he wants me to leave the same day (this is likely) will I be entitled to one weeks salary? Or two weeks or none?

flowery Sat 20-Jun-15 07:56:50

Well you are allowed to give more notice than required and if your employer doesn't want you to work it they need to pay you for it.

However as you've not been there two years your employer could just give you a weeks notice themselves, and therefore only have to pay you a week.

Why don't you just wait another week and give a week's notice?

insancerre Sat 20-Jun-15 08:02:58

I think if they ask you to leave that day you would be entitled to 1 weeks wages as that's the minimum notice they have to give you
Why don't you have a contract?

polealltheway Sat 20-Jun-15 08:30:13

Flowery - thank you for the reply, that is what I thought he could just give me one weeks notice to leave. Maybe I should just give the one weeks notice.

Even though my employer is an asshole and unprofessional I would normally have given him 4 weeks notice. But as I am staying in the same sector it is likely he will want me to leave right away so it may work better for me just to give one week. I thought it would be more professional for me to give as much notice as possible as I don't want to leave on bad terms for references in the future etc!

polealltheway Sat 20-Jun-15 08:34:27

Insan - my employer is very unprofessional and I've just never had a contract with that company.

The thing is now I know I'm leaving I just can't wait to get out. My boss has made me feel undervalued in my job for sometime now.

He has even requested I go back to my previous position (so demote me) and lower my salary again!

My new employer seems over the moon that I'm coming on board and is professional with offer letters and contracts and everything!

Sorry I am rambling abit! What I am trying to say is maybe I should Hand in the two weeks notice and if he will only pay me one week fine I will have to manage with less money?

insancerre Sat 20-Jun-15 08:44:14

I would just give him one weeks notice in that case
Good luck with your new job

polealltheway Sat 20-Jun-15 08:55:15

Thank you grin I am really looking forward to the new job. Yes I think your right one week is enough but I don't want to stick it out there much longer hmmhmm

insancerre Sat 20-Jun-15 09:34:26

Do you have any holiday pay to get?
If you haven't used it, then you are entitled to it pro-rated on your last pay
You might be able to give a weeks notice and have a few days off using your holiday pay before you start your new job

Penfold007 Sat 20-Jun-15 09:40:45

If the new job starts in two weeks and you need your wages (who dissent) wait a week and give your current employer one weeks notice. He either gets you to work your week or pays you in lieu of notice.

polealltheway Sat 20-Jun-15 10:58:51

I think I would have two days at the most to take me upto this part of the year! I am concerned about him paying me what I am owed. He is always trying to find ways of not paying his staff.

Yes I think one weeks notice will be much better! I can't wait until I can hand it in grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now