Talk

Advanced search

New job - boss good friends with someone who has a low opinion of me

(5 Posts)
AdventureBe Mon 15-Jun-15 09:00:47

I've name changed because it felt like I should!

I was offered a great new job last week - exactly the one I've been looking for for a year or so.

It's a school leadership job. I was offered a similar one a few months ago but after initially accepting it, I changed my mind for a number of reasons:

- the job wasn't quite what I wanted, but initially I thought I could live with that

- there was someone else already doing the job who was supposed to be leaving (I think I have to read being managed out). That's fine, the job was at a level where you'd expect there to be "issues" to be managed, but I didn't think they were being honest with me about what they were and I got different versions from different people

-We verbally agreed slightly p-t hours and then they back tracked and got quite snippy with me over what I wanted

-At this point, I decided the job wasn't for me.

Anyway, I know the head thinks I messed them about and he's right I could have handled it better, but I also think they weren't completely straight with me and they definitely reneged on the verbal agreement over hours (although job was advertised ft)

I knew there was a good possibility that all the local heads know each other and that any new employer might here the story, but I have now discovered that the head I let down and the new one are best buddies, to the extent that they go on holiday together.

Would you still accept your perfect job, despite knowing this? How do you think it might colour my working relationship with the new head? (who seems very nice). Would you broach it first?

Hoppinggreen Mon 15-Jun-15 10:06:09

They probably asked their friend about you before offering you the job so I wouldn't worry about it.
You are over thinking it

AdventureBe Mon 15-Jun-15 10:10:46

No, they won't have because they won't have known I'd turned down the previous job and they offered it to me at the interview!

But when they mention they've got a new staff member called AdventureBe, it will (possibly) ring a bell and be mentioned then. It's the kind of role that would be mentioned between two friends who both face the same issues at work IYSWIM.

addictedtosugar Mon 15-Jun-15 10:29:33

Don't worry about it.
Hopefully you'll make a great impression, and the new head will be "We've got a fab new assistant head, they are doing a really good job" and his mate will be green they messed you around.

VanitasVanitatum Mon 15-Jun-15 10:36:23

Absolutely accept it, just make your own impression on him and don't worry about what the old HT might say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now