Talk

Advanced search

Grrr - why do interview panels say we'll let you know by friday

(5 Posts)
basildonbond Fri 12-Jun-15 18:16:23

And then don't angry

Now I've got to twiddle my thumbs over the whole weekend

I suspect I haven't got it as am overqualified but it would be nice to know one way or the other sad

Kampeki Fri 12-Jun-15 18:22:18

I always let people know by the day I've said I will. If I couldn't for any reason, I would still call to explain that there was a delay. I think it's common courtesy - people have made an effort to get to the interview after all.

I think some interviewers actually mean that they'll let you know by Friday (or whenever) if you've got the job. I tend to ring the successful candidate on the same day, though.

FWIW, I have never not employed someone for being overqualified. If they apply for the job, I assume that they have their reasons for wanting it. If they happen to be overqualified, then I would consider myself lucky to have found them!

If you haven't heard, it doesn't sound too promising, but I guess you never know. Good luck with your job hunting!

Littlef00t Sat 13-Jun-15 20:30:35

Agh I had the same over my birthday weekend once. Didn't want to spoil it by constantly checking my phone and email so got to 5:30 on the day and assumed I hadn't got it and decided not to check emails again.

Got a phone call on the Monday offering me the job yay, oh didn't you get my email on Friday saying we'd had to delay, umm no, she'd sent it at 5:45 doh!

basildonbond Mon 15-Jun-15 12:41:01

Well I didn't get the job - reason given to the agency was I was too experienced and over-qualified <sigh>

HRAdvisor Thu 25-Jun-15 00:11:20

Having worked in HR, it is very common to notify successful candidates that they have been successful and have them accept a conditional offer before notifying the candidates that will be rejected.

If a company calls up person A tells them they are successful and then calls person B & C that they are unsuccessful, if person A then declines the conditional offer, it is very awkward for the company to re-offer the position to persons B &C.

Thus they will tell the successful person on Friday and wait until they have accepted the conditional offer, before then rejecting the other candidates later down the line. If person A declines the conditional offer, then the company have left themselves with the option of offering it to persons B or C if they wish to do so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now