Talk

Advanced search

Advertised as permanent, but temporary contract

(11 Posts)
Roxie85 Fri 12-Jun-15 05:47:09

Does anyone know if there is a way to view expired teaching vacancy adverts. My husband applied for a teaching job that was logged as a permanent position. There was no mention of anything different during the the interview process but he has just received his letter of contract and it states temporary fixed term for 1 year (in the first instance) He is gutted and actually cried as he has never had a permanent job since starting teaching 6 years ago. Each year he has then lost his job due to budget cuts, school redundancies etc but is never entitled to anything as it's a temp contract and never has any job security.
He is still accepting the job but is going to send a letter to ask about the reasons for it being temporary (he made it very clear in the interview that he had applied because he wanted a long term job and it gave him that opportunity)
Just wondered if you can view expired jobs anywhere so he has something to show them that it was advertised as permanent.

SanityClause Fri 12-Jun-15 05:56:59

I don't know about teaching, specifically, but most posts have a probationary period.

I think it's a mistake to send the letter. Perhaps he should just call, and check that it's intended to be permanent, and isn't maternity leave cover, or similar.

FishWithABicycle Fri 12-Jun-15 06:04:25

Depends on the advertising site but try googling for keywords - then when you find the right result on Google look for a link that says "cached" as this would be an older snapshot if the link itself just leads to "this vacancy is no longer available"

funchum8am Fri 12-Jun-15 06:16:11

The "in the first instance" bit makes me think they have decided to use a temp contract at first so if he isn't up to scratch they can get rid of him at no cost. This doesn't mean they aren't confident that he is good, just that they may have been burned before with people turning out to be poor teachers or going off sick long term early in their role, and then having to keep them because of the cost of the alternatives. Might be worth asking if they would remove that clause as they would have a lot of work to recruit again now. If not it sounds like there is a permanent job there but they want him to prove himself first.

I am not saying this is right, just trying to look at it from their point of view.

Roxie85 Fri 12-Jun-15 08:02:01

I think it's a bit of a probation thing and wonder s to cover them and it's the same with all teaching jobs. It says in his contract that any questions to let them know. He is going to say how excited he is about joining the school and how lovely it was and then puts......... I am keen to understand why it is only a fixed term temporary contract as I am eager to join a school as a permanent member of staff and have some job security after several years of unfortunate circumstances that have left me without work for periods of time.
I would be very grateful if you could get back to me with regard to this so that I am aware of the opportunities available to me at xxxxx xxx.
Once again I look forward to joining the department and the wider school family when I begin in September.

flowery Fri 12-Jun-15 10:22:10

I really wouldn't say that. If he really feels he wants to send a letter (why not a quick phone call or something just to check?), I would just say I note it was initially advertised as a permanent role but a fixed term contract has been offered, and I would just appreciate an understanding of the reasons for that.

No need to highlight that he's been out of work several times because of fixed term contracts not being renewed...

Can't see how digging out the advert will help. He doesn't need to show them it was advertised as permanent - they will know that!

Roxie85 Fri 12-Jun-15 16:02:21

Thanks ill get him to give them a quick call just to check why there is a change. I think getting a copy of the ad is more for him to double check that he did read it correctly before he says anything to them.

Redcliff Fri 12-Jun-15 19:24:39

I've worked places where all teachers were on one year probationary period and other places where all new starters were given a one year fixed term contract in the first instance . I hope he gets hold of someone soon.

Littlef00t Sat 13-Jun-15 20:51:02

You know he has no more protection or rights after a year even if it was advertised as permanent right? No additional right to tribunal claims, no redundancy pay etc?

Unfortunately I'd just suck it up.

Lunastarfish Sun 14-Jun-15 11:22:23

It Doesn't really matter if it was advertised as permanent. The school can change their mind (for example, funding may now be an issueissue). In any event, he still has no right to claim unfair dismissal or receive redundancy pay until he has been continuously employed for 2 years irrespective if the role was advertised as permanent.

ariana1 Sun 14-Jun-15 12:03:10

I know a newly qualified teacher who had this happen last year - it isn't fair as you have usually accepted the job before the real terms become clear. My friend took the advice of a former headteacher who advised him not to cause a fuss and he signed the temporary contract; luckily he fits in well and one year on it has become a permanent position.
In your husband's case he needs to weigh up whether he would still take the post or not - if he would do then he should check whether this is a mistake they've made and try to keep the emotion out of it. They would find this harder to do with someone who already has a permanent contract as they would be giving up the continuous employment rights that they've acquired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now