Talk

Advanced search

Will I lose this school job offer?

(128 Posts)
Astrid28 Wed 10-Jun-15 15:06:04

I feel absolutely sick.

I applied for and have been offered a job in a school (support role). I have current experience of working in a very similar capacity and have additional related qualifications and excellent references. I also passed the literacy and numeracy tests required. It's my absolute ideal job.

I have taken in all my paperwork for the relevant DBS checks and needed to also provide GCSE result proof which I have just searched my mums loft for and found.

I stupidly applied with guessed grades in order to make the application deadline as and my maths grade was in fact a D, not a C as required. My English grade is fine.

I've arranged to bring the documents in tomorrow and now I'm convinced the offer will be withdrawn.

Is there any way this will be viewed sympathetically or should I accept that my stupidity has cost me the job?

Please be gentle with me. I can't explain how gutted I am.

Haggisfish Wed 10-Jun-15 15:11:40

I'd phone and be honest. Tbh it seems a tad odd to me-I can still remember my exam grades after 22 years.

AnathemaPratchett Wed 10-Jun-15 15:12:08

Hmm as it's a support role you may get away with it, but I doubt it. If I were you I'd give them a ring now so they are not taken back when you take the certs in.

iwantavuvezela Wed 10-Jun-15 15:13:37

I think that as you have work experience and in addition passed tests, this should be okay. Perhaps tell them you may have put down a grade incorrectly and would they like to check to make sure?
Fingers crossed for you.

wannabestressfree Wed 10-Jun-15 15:13:57

I would just let them photocopy them and stay schtum. See if they mention it. Do you have qualifications higher than gcse? In my school unless it was a teaching position you would be ok.

Astrid28 Wed 10-Jun-15 15:14:28

It doesn't look good does it?

I've always had 9 GCSE passes on my CV and this asked for specific grades so I winged it and now I'm going to pay the price.

I feel physically sick and so angry at myself.

HeresMyBrightIdea Wed 10-Jun-15 15:15:28

What were the numeracy tests? Lots of colleges and placements offer numeracy and literacy tests which equal a C for GCSEs, but you'd need to check exactly what you studied for.

AnathemaPratchett Wed 10-Jun-15 15:16:16

Can you list a D as a "pass"? I thought normally you'd list A-C grades?

SewingBox Wed 10-Jun-15 15:19:19

Hmm. I don't think the difference between a D & C would change anything as far as the original application was concerned, for a support type role in school.

I do think lying would make a difference and TBH, I'm not sure how easy it is to "forget" whether you got that magic C in Maths.

The likelihood is that no-one will check though.

Astrid28 Wed 10-Jun-15 15:19:28

I wanted to ring them there and then as soon as I found it but the administrator I'm dealing with isn't in until tomorrow.

I'm torn between just handing it in and hoping for the best or doing as iwanta has suggested and point it out.

My instinct is to address it immediately but the other part of me wants to hang on to the job so badly that I don't want to face up to it.

Astrid28 Wed 10-Jun-15 15:21:01

I was always under the impression that it counts as a pass unless ungraded?

SewingBox Wed 10-Jun-15 15:22:25

D at GCSE is a pass, it wasn't at O-Level.

HeresMyBrightIdea Wed 10-Jun-15 15:24:00

I wouldn't cover it up, because I'd always be a bit anxious that if they notice, I'd lose my job. Maybe not just for the grade, but because you've lied to them then, too.

Can you not speak to anyone this afternoon? It'll be rubbish to spend tonight wondering, I'd rather know either way.

Although I would definitely look into what the numeracy course was first, incase it is something equivalent to a C.

wannabestressfree Wed 10-Jun-15 15:24:55

Anything above a U is a pass but you are normally required to have the Magic C's and above. I wouldn't say anything really.

Astrid28 Wed 10-Jun-15 15:25:34

She wants certs to prove I passed both Maths and English.

I have a D in Maths and a B in English. Will they count as passes?

Marcipex Wed 10-Jun-15 15:29:10

I always thought C and above were passes.

Haggisfish Wed 10-Jun-15 15:29:24

If you don't tell them, though, you'll always be fretting that someone will find out. They take copies of certificates and put them on file. it only takes one eagle eyed person, and admin staff change all the time. Just be honest - phone and say you couldn't remember exactly what your grades were, but you now realise you made a mistake.

wannabestressfree Wed 10-Jun-15 15:30:17

Just hand them in and wait to see what she says. It wouldn't affect your job offer at our school providing it's not a teaching role.

Didiusfalco Wed 10-Jun-15 15:30:20

Was the C grade a condition of the job offer? I work in a school support role and even though I could produce a Msc certificate they still insisted on seeing my GCSEs Certs, so I had to find them - no idea if this was pedantic or normal though.

Astrid28 Wed 10-Jun-15 15:30:46

Sorry I cross posted.

The literacy & numeracy tests seemed relatively informal (a list of 15 varying sums & a letter writing task) but I could find out.

I completely agree with you about it hanging over me Brightidea. I can barely think straight - but this is helping to talk it through so thanks all for your responses.

Marcipex Wed 10-Jun-15 15:32:23

I think it's better to admit your mistake , rather than be found out.
Hopefully, there were no other strong candidates, and you say you passed their numeracy test.

LIZS Wed 10-Jun-15 15:35:12

If they query it, as D at O level wasn't a pass, mention that you would be prepared to take a level 2 numeracy course at your local FE college, which would be free. Sometimes these can be done on a drop-in/ e-learning basis. In fact give the college a call today so you know what you can suggest.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 10-Jun-15 15:38:01

I've tried googling for you OP and while D is technically a pass most people consider C or above to be acceptable

Sorry that wasn't very useful was it?

I think you just needto throw yourself on the mercy of the administrator

BitOutOfPractice Wed 10-Jun-15 15:38:39

That's an excellent idea LIZS! OP do that. Ring them now

Astrid28 Wed 10-Jun-15 15:39:43

Thanks LIZS, that's a good idea. If theres a way to put it right then I would rather take that option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now