How many words is a 5 minute presentation?

(4 Posts)
InstitutionCode Mon 08-Jun-15 20:00:37

I have to do one for a job interview to a panel of three. I have some material to use as a starting point, but I'm wondering, ball park, how many words I need.

Would you use powerpoint, any other presentation tools, or just talk?

EcclefechanTart Mon 08-Jun-15 20:05:55

For me, about 600 words. Depends how fast you talk though! I wouldn't use PPT for such a short talk. Perhaps a one-side handout might be good though, as it would give them something to take away?

coolaschmoola Mon 08-Jun-15 20:06:29

I would use PowerPoint - it's always useful to have a prompt. Probably four slides (I'm an English teacher and we get our students to do 8 slides for ten minutes.

As for word count - difficult to say as I have no idea how quickly you speak or what the subject is. As a ball park figure try reading aloud for five minutes and count the words.

yummumto3girls Wed 10-Jun-15 17:18:12

I recently had to do a 5 min presentation for a job, it really wasn't very long and they timed it. I did a PP, you really cannot get much in to 5 mins without rushing so I would concentrate on one or two aspects only to allow sufficient time for discussions. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now