Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HR question.. Any help please?

(3 Posts)
SparklyOnTheInside Mon 08-Jun-15 18:50:39

Thanks in advance any advice - I have to keep this a little vague at it concerns a friend's situation.

Company A publishes a magazine, they employ Jane as the editor/writer.

Company B publishes a magazine, they employ Sally as the editor/writer.

company A has just bought company B and are going to close it's magazine down and make Sally redundant.

Sally wants to force Company A to interview her for Jane's job, and make jane apply for her own job too.

If I recall correctly, since Sally's job will no longer exist she can be made redundant and has no automatic right to apply for Jane's job?

They have similar levels of experience/background.

As you can imagine this is a bit of a worry.. So if you have any employment law know-how I would be very grateful!

flowery Tue 09-Jun-15 09:07:36

Impossible to say based on that amount of information.

In general terms, if there is a TUPE transfer and as a result Company A has too many, say, administrators all doing a similar job, they should involve all relevant staff in a redundancy procedure, not just new staff coming across from Company B. But whether that applies in these circumstances depends on the detail.

SparklyOnTheInside Tue 09-Jun-15 18:25:34

Thanks flowery.. I think I better not put any further info on Mumsnet without talking to my friend first. Might be able to get more info from her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now