Talk

Advanced search

Help me anticipate interview questions please!

(7 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Mon 08-Jun-15 12:57:16

Hello, can anyone help me on behalf of a friend, to think of what sort of interview questions to expect tomorrow?

Job is one she already does - it involves managing a small team of gallery assistants and looking after the gallery building. For complicated internal reasons she is in effect applying for her own job.

I have been through the job description trying to anticipate the questions and come up with the following - can anyone think of any more:

Tell us about a time when you've used your communication skills / dealt with confrontation / dealt with a difficult situation at work / dealt with a difficult gallery visitor / liaised with external partners?

Why do you want the job?

What do you see as the biggest challenges of the role?

What would you personally bring to the role?

What do you think are the three most important things to enable you to do the job well?

How would you motivate staff?

How do you manage your time?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Skiptonlass Mon 08-Jun-15 17:57:56

One I always ask is "tell me about a time you did something wrong, when you looked back and wished you had done something else."

Generally very telling about people...smile I'm looking for:

Awareness that everyone makes errors
The error itself to be understandable (so miscalculating something or being unaware of a regulation Is fine, but treating someone really badly is not.)
Ability to recognise own error
Ability to take ownership if it (blurg, I hate that phrase!)
Ability to learn from it.

Also things like:

Where do you see your career going in five years time?
How would you deal with a member of staff who is under performing? (I'm looking for empathy/awareness of the difference between a good staff member having a bad time and a total slacker.)

And did should make sure SHE has questions too. smile

flowery Tue 09-Jun-15 09:09:30

There should be a person specification or similar, outlining the skills/attributes/experience they are looking for. Questions should be designed to find out whether each candidate has those things. She should ensure she can provide an example of when she has demonstrated all those things.

twentyten Tue 09-Jun-15 09:18:18

Google star technique for answering questions.

tindel Tue 09-Jun-15 14:01:39

What is your greatest strength and weakness? I think I've been asked that at most interviews and I've asked it every time I've interviewed someone - it can tell you a lot about someone

Fluffyears Fri 10-Jul-15 19:32:39

What is the best thing to answer about your weakness when trying to 'sell yourself'?

scribblegirl Fri 10-Jul-15 19:35:37

I did one today where I was asked 'why shouldn't we give you the job' - I think I did ok but I was briefly floored!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now