Talk

Advanced search

Why do I want a job?

(17 Posts)
mygreeneyedboy Sun 07-Jun-15 19:28:49

I'm a graduate, never really worked, but starting to apply for my first jobs. My boyfriend, who works in recruiting, has set me a task, which apparently I need to know the answer to: "Why do I want to work/a job?"

I don't have a clue. Apart from money.

He won't give me any answers, but says I need three. Says I need to do some soul-searching if I don't know the answers... so I'm asking you guys... grin

So please can you give me reasons why you want to work?

LIZS Sun 07-Jun-15 19:31:37

Social
Recognition
Develop skills

LongDistanceLove Sun 07-Jun-15 19:35:15

From a recruitment pov, the question is usually 'why do you want to work here' at least that what it is where I have done recruitment.

As for why do you want a job? Is your area of experise of particular interest to you? Do you want to take over the world? Be a productive member of society?

Apart from that, do your own homework grin

Magmatic80 Sun 07-Jun-15 19:35:43

Self respect
Personal development
Social interaction with broad range of people

twirlypoo Sun 07-Jun-15 19:40:42

Self worth
Money
Social opportunities

I was a lone parent and took 2.5 years out after my Ds was born. I was shocked how much of my self esteem was tied up in having a job. My confidence and self worth plummeted. The money is bloody brilliant and lastly, you meet people through work - you may be friends, but at the very least it's nice to have someone to pass the time of day with.

tribpot Sun 07-Jun-15 19:41:39

Presumably he didn't intend that you just reach out online to get other people to give you the answers grin but clearly perhaps one of the reasons why you want a job is to be able to expand your knowledge, skills and network through contact with people who have interests in the same field as you! Passing skills and knowledge on is vital for continuity.

Why do you think he does what he does? (We'll leave aside the fact recruitment agents are only one rung on the ladder above estate agents for now wink). What motivates him? What does he talk about?

Btw one of those awful stock interview questions is 'where do you see yourself in five years?'. Of course no-one has a bloody clue, so I always like to turn it round if possible and ask the interviewer where they see the company in five years. Then they realise no-one knows.

In reality you will be asked why you want to work at company X, not why do you want to work. Despite certain tabloid headlines I don't believe state benefits for a young, able-bodied 20 something who simply can't be arsed working are that great!

happybubblebrain Sun 07-Jun-15 19:45:12

1. Because I haven't won the lottery yet.
2. Because I haven't got a millionaire boyfriend who wants to keep me.
3. Because I haven't found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Everyone works because they need the money. Hardly anyone would carry on working if they didn't need the money. I don't think you need more of a reason than that.

mygreeneyedboy Mon 08-Jun-15 12:56:57

Thanks for all the answers!! It's good to have a brain storm really! One job I'm applying for has a stupid question of "what are my career ambitions" which the answer is certainly not working as that job all my career!!

As for the question "why do I want that job" well.. I'm happy to take any job who will accept me!!

happybubblebrain -- that did make me laugh!

BobandKate0 Mon 08-Jun-15 13:21:48

Its a trick question,you are not supposed to say want the money,but say you are interested the challenge of it all,the pride of doing a job the right way,you are a people person hmm.etc .
In five years time -you like to be in a position where you can help people less blessed than yourself,or be able to put the great back into britain again.But if you had billions in the bank,what would you do all day,i know some ladies just faff about going to ascot,but alot do end up doing a job,even if its saving donkeys.
A lot of jobs pay too much and attract the wrong type of person. sad

wickedwaterwitch Mon 08-Jun-15 13:26:59

It is indeed a trick question. What they REALLY want to know, IMO, is what you can do for them.

So the answer to "Why do you want the job?" is something like "to use my marketing and communication skills to make a difference to whoever employs me. I'm really interested in your organisation because <insert something interesting here that shows you've done your research> is my area of interest"

Sometimes, when you have a lot of experience, it's ok to say "I want to expand my skills to learn more about xx subject"

And although most of us work for money we keep going in for much more than that, we go because we like what the money buys or because we're interested in what we do or we like making a difference.

Good luck!

JessiePinkman Mon 08-Jun-15 13:31:36

Pride

flowery Mon 08-Jun-15 14:18:57

I can't imagine a sensible interviewer asking someone why they want a job and expecting a useful answer. Why they want that particular job, absolutely. But why a job at all? Strange idea of a good interview question.

Skiptonlass Mon 08-Jun-15 18:09:18

Because they pay me.

No, but seriously, no one is going to ask you why you want to work (sigh...recruiters...they really know nothing, the dross they send my way while excluding others who are perfect makes me scream.)

But...they ARE going to ask you why you want THAT job. When I interview, I want to get a grasp of two things. Firstly, can this person do the job? Do they have the qualifications AND the nous? Secondly, are they going to fit in my team? My team are great. I don't want to hire anyone toxic.

I always ask:

Tell me about your career so far (in your case, have a potted précis of your course, previous work experience etc)
What do you understand the job role to be?
What do you bring to the role?
I ask about specifics (project management work, clinical background, financial background etc) this would vary of course depending on the job.
Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult person/real conflict ? (I want to know you can handle consultants without pissing them off, wrecking the relationship or letting them walk all over you.)
Tell me about a time you did something wrong. How did you handle it? (I need to know you can accept errors and learn from them)
Tell me how you get on with your current team ( I do not want to hear they are all bitches/you love and go out on the piss with them, I need to hear you can get along professionally with anyone!)

Basically, be confident but not boastful. Be calm, professional and think of answers to this sort of question. Then learn those answers. Then you can tweak them to whatever gets asked.

What sort of stuff are you applying for?

BobandKate0 Tue 09-Jun-15 16:42:35

In my case i want to work,because i'm going stir crazy pottering about the place - i have always worked in the past,i like doing a good job,getting stuck in to a problem,pursuing excellance ,also detest the whole blame claim culture but if i mention this in an interview it might run up a red flag.

Skiptonlass Wed 10-Jun-15 11:58:41

Yes don't mention negatives in an interview.

Always pitch it as 'pull' factors that attract you to a job rather than 'push' factors wanting to leave your current situation.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 10-Jun-15 12:22:36

Reasons to want a job:

- Money.
- To have the satisfaction and enjoyment of doing something you are good at, and would like to get better at.
- To have the satisfaction of making a difference in the world, however small, by doing a job or providing a service that people want and/or need.

Bonsoir Wed 10-Jun-15 12:25:15

1. to provide for yourself
2. to be an integrated member of society, being productive with others
3. to develop as a person

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now