HR people- advice for teenage son

(11 Posts)
bogwobbit Fri 05-Jun-15 06:33:13

My son (17 years) has just left school and is either going to college or to do an apprenticeship after the Summer. He's trying to find summer work, which if he went to college he could do part-time afterwards.

So far, he has been spectacularly unsuccessful. He's applied for plenty of jobs but apart from one offer of an interview (which he couldn't make because the date clashed with his Phyics exam), there's been nothing! For example, he has applied for twelve roles with local Tesco's but keeps being told that "that he doesn't meet their criteria"

He's obviously doing something wrong, but what? Any advice or guidance from someone 'in the know' would be very welcome.

By the way, most of his friends seem to have managed to get jobs so there is work out there.

Thanks

flowery Fri 05-Jun-15 10:27:57

I'm not sure strangers on the internet who haven't seen his applications or details of the jobs he's applied for can tell you what he's doing wrong tbh.

Has he asked Tesco which criteria he is not fulfilling? Are the criteria not clear in the job ad or job details before applying?

bogwobbit Fri 05-Jun-15 12:45:20

I appreciate what you're saying, but what I was hoping for was some general guidance on what employers are looking for.
When I was his age it seemed much simpler. You went along to the local hotel, supermarket, cafe or whatever and spoke to the manager. If they liked the look of you and there was a job, that was it. If not, then off you went to he next place.
Now it seems that even the most basic job involves internet applications, CVs, online tests and the involvement of HR. None of which I have a clue about, which is why I was hoping that some HR professionals might be able to help.
As for feedback about what criteria he's not fulfilling, that doesn't seem to be available on their online recruitment site.

bogwobbit Fri 05-Jun-15 15:23:55

Bumping this up. I really would appreciate some help smile
Thanks

ragged Fri 05-Jun-15 19:37:38

You could share his cover letter here, but the other place to try is the student room. There he can talk with other kids who are in same situation.

DragonsCanHop Fri 05-Jun-15 22:45:17

I do feel for him, it is really tough to get that first break.

We have lots of CVs supplied for our vacancies and we do not use agencies.

I can only advise from my personally experiences so some may not be relevant but my tip for a CV when you are just starting out is to mention any skills ie excel,word etc. he would then score points on our system we use to go through the CVs to choose those that are suitable for the next stage.

I would say to add any skill because it helps to score points for the obvious against CVs that will score more points for experience but may lose points for not stating the obvious.

get your son to spend a few hours searching companies in the industry he is interested in working in and signing up to their websites to be alerted of vacancies.

Get him to visit agencies and get his face known, make friends! They are more likely/more confident to put him forward once they get to know him as a person.

If offered a telephone interview or face to face he needs to research the company, their values and mission statement and then fillhis application form in based on his views about the above (always positive facts)

Dress smart and be well presented for the interview, it shows he cares and has made an effort.

Follow up an interview with a thank you email

Hope this helps a little bit, it's only my point of view from spending lots of time sifting through CVs and carrying out interviews.

Wishing him lots of luck.

Redcliff Sat 06-Jun-15 21:02:54

What is the online Tesco form asking?

bogwobbit Sat 06-Jun-15 22:59:47

Dragons. Thanks you for your advice. Very helpful. Spookily, he actually got an email yesterday evening offering him (paid) work experience in the field that he's hoping to study. So, brilliant result and much better for him than Tesco grin

DragonsCanHop Sat 06-Jun-15 23:24:24

Brilliant news <fingers crossed>

I have a work experience person starting with us next week. I've planned to get them to help with all the little "jobs" no one else apparently has time to do but will massively help with the day to day runnings.

They may see it as rubbish tasks but their attitude towards them will greatly influence my reference for them and the tasked, although a bit boring will be a massive help.

bogwobbit Sun 07-Jun-15 22:28:32

Thanks smile. I don't think he will mind doing routine tasks - hope not anyway. He's already met the manager of the department he'll be working in and I think he's really looking forward to it.
Fingers crossed here too!

gobbin Mon 08-Jun-15 12:57:52

A lot of the supermarkets won't look at a 17yr old because they can't use them on checkouts, although some are more flexible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now