Talk

Advanced search

annual leave on flexible hours

(5 Posts)
Debs75 Mon 18-May-15 13:56:58

I have recently gone back to work on a 16 hour contract. It's supposed to be flexible working hours, meaning they want me to be available pretty much every hour of the week so i can fit in with their hours. I currently work several evenings a week, not my choice but it seems to have become my working pattern. Anyway i need to swop one evening for a few weeks as i have a regular hospital appointment. Line managers solution is to book it off as annual leave, for 4 hours a week. Is this normal on a 16 hour flexible shift pattern or should i just say i am unavailable those days but am willing to work other days?

Debs75 Mon 18-May-15 14:02:43

Should also add I've only been there 6 months and was hoping to use most my annual leave for 6 weeks holiday, cover permitting , not on the odd day

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 18-May-15 14:03:19

All my department is run on flexible shift patterns. What we do is run a Request Sheet. So if you need/want a shift off, you add it to the Request and it is accommodated wherever possible.

If you arent contractually obligated to work (say) every Tuesday PM, then it is reasonably expected that you can say "im unavailable that Tues PM, can work any other shifts that week". What would make it a challenge is if you are the only Flex worker and so if you want it off, the manager cant roster anyone else in.

flowery Mon 18-May-15 14:31:52

What does your contract actually say about working hours?

Debs75 Mon 18-May-15 14:40:49

Its a 16 hour contract and states my hours will include some evening or weekend work. At the moment i do 75% evening or weekend. Everyone gives availability each month and you are fitted on to the rota. Some people do all week days meaning the newer staff, ie me gets stuck with shit hours. Last week i didn't see my dc after school once

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now