Talk

Advanced search

Help me decide...

(3 Posts)
wobblebobblehat Thu 14-May-15 08:27:01

I'm looking for a job at the moment. I've potentially got two options...

Option 1 is with a large-ish commercial international company looking after 2/3 directors. They say the hours are 35 per week but I think it might be more as they sound very busy. It's 2 to 3 months temporary to cover sickness but I have a feeling it may go permanent. I suspect that the lady is off with stress (although they didn't say this). Salary is £30k with decent benefits. I went for the interview yesterday and think I may be offered the job this morning.

Option 2 is with a local not for profit (housing). It's an admin role. Lots of organising and events so very similar to a PA role without the director bum wiping. It's three days (Monday to Friday) and salary is £23k pro rata with a fairly decent pension. The contract is 12 months to cover maternity. They are often recruiting and pay fairly well (PA to the CEO was previously advertised at around £30k). I'm going for the interview this afternoon.

Obviously, I would like to earn as much as I can but the lower salary wouldn't be an issue. I have a fairly active life outside work so the three days would give me time to do other things without stretching myself to the limit. I also occasionally do some freelance work (totally unrelated) which would fit better with the three days. Both jobs are easy commutes under 30 minutes.

I'd like to go for the other interview then make a decision but I think I'm going to have to make a decision about the first one this morning. I feel a bit conflicted at the moment. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom?! grin

Ellypoo Thu 14-May-15 13:33:11

Personally I would wait to see if you are offered either of them - the interview for the second one might help you make up your mind too.

However, I wouldn't turn the 1st one down on the strength of a position that you haven't even interviewed for yet, nevermind been offered.

If you are in the position of having both job offers on the table, I would be tempted to go for the second one, sounds far less stressful.

wobblebobblehat Thu 14-May-15 17:23:42

Thanks ellypoo

I was offered the first one this morning but have managed to stall them. Am supposed to be call them back before end of play today.

I think the second interview went well. Not always easy to tell! Bizarrely, I felt more apprehensive and it was a harder interview! They were all very nice though and it seems like a good place to work.

They said they would let me know by Monday but as they were interviewing today I'd guess that they will let the successful candidate know today.

Gah! What to do? Accept job one and have a guaranteed job or turn it down and take a chance on two in the off chance that I get it and have a better work/life balance? I don't want to mess them about at job one...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now