Am I being made redundant? I need your collective wisdom please.

(5 Posts)
CaptainCaveMum Fri 01-May-15 13:24:57

I'm being told my job will move to a different department, different boss, same grade, etc...so far so legal. But I won't be a line manager in my new department because my team won't be coming, they will stay in current department. I've had line management roles for 20 years and am regarded as an exemplary manager (HR told me when I spoke with them, not just what I reakon). I think this is making my job redundant and the new job isn't a suitable alternative - because I'll no longer be a manager.
What do you all think?

Blondie1984 Fri 01-May-15 13:55:35

I don't agree - it just sounds like the role is a bit different in that you don't have any line reports - I work in a large corporate and there are people there who are quite senior but don't have a team to manage. It sounds like management is a strength for you so maybe the new role will give you an opportunity to focus on other development areas.
If line management is important to you then I would suggest you look for an alternative role OR you could consider acting as a mentor to another person within your organisation...perhaps someone who needs help developing people management skills

CaptainCaveMum Fri 01-May-15 15:01:14

Thanks Blondie. I think my firm may argue this but moving my role will require a change in my job description- I'm a player/manager so half my role is having oversight of my team's work, the other is a different (though similar themed) stream of work. I think this is a new role and feeling pretty miserable it's being imposed. Effectively it feels like a demotion- by the way did I mention I'm the only senior who works part time? Do you really think there's nothing I can do?

CaptainCaveMum Fri 01-May-15 15:02:40

Pressed send too soon meant to say it will mean I no longer have any oversight or involvement in my team's product which is also part of my role

NiceBitOfCheese Fri 01-May-15 20:52:54

I think you might be as well to consult ACAS. They will need to know the details of the two roles.

Crucially, what outcome do you want? Redundancy money, or to remain with your current organisation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now